• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Problem. Over clock resets on every boot after OC the RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaV3N

Board- Asus P5N72-T 780i
CPU-Q9550 was @3.5 stable now resets back to stock 2.8 every boot
Ram OCZ Platinum was 5-5-5-15 @ 960Mhz, i tried to push it to 990 , thats when the reset started happening everytime i boot.
PSU-850 coolmaster (3 months old)

This started happening after i tried overclocking the RAM a little higher cause everything tested stable for days. Now the system overclock doesnt save?? My saved overclock profiles are also erased??? But the weird thing is my voltage stayed the same from my overclock settings?? Everything else reverts back to stock on my boot up even if i change it. What can be the cause of this?

I heard this can be:
1.Bad Ram ( i did a RAM test on stock speeds, no crashes)
2.Motherboard battery gone bad or fell out (but why would my voltages save?)

Any ideas? Anyone heard of this, much help appreciated.

You stated the ram passes tests @stock speeds. Did you test @ oc'ed speeds?

I would think the board/ram has a wall. Have you lowered the multi on the chip and raise the FSB on the ram to rule out the ram?

You stated the ram passes tests @stock speeds. Did you test @ oc'ed speeds?

I would think the board/ram has a wall. Have you lowered the multi on the chip and raise the FSB on the ram to rule out the ram?

Yes, i did test RAM at overclock speeds and they passed as well, though one time it did blue screen @960 but after that never again. No i havent lowered the multi and raised the FSB to rule out the RAM. Everything was stable at these clocks and lower too? It resets the setting no matter what even if its not an overclock. It just started not saving everything for no reason. My overclocks were fine for days , the ram i wasnt sure. Why would trying to push the RAM further just cause all my overclock profiles in the bios to erase and no setting to save , even simple none overclocked setting wont save. I cant even set my stock Ram timing or overclock 100mhz on the cpu?? But still my voltage settings dont change in the bios. Im confused?

Last edited:
Then the board is borked. I was going to point out the psu too, but if the board saves the voltages only and not your settings, then the board is defective.

Best to RMA/Replace it. There's no fix for that.

Have you cleared cmos and tried to save again?

Then the board is borked. I was going to point out the psu too, but if the board saves the voltages only and not your settings, then the board is defective.

Best to RMA/Replace it. There's no fix for that.

Have you cleared cmos and tried to save again?

No i didnt get a chance but will be doing that. So my board is defective?? Ive had stable setting for a while now, it could jus end up defective like that out of no where , after some good stable overclocks????

Last edited:
New egg return states: "This item was purchased more than 30 days ago and is no longer covered by any applicable Newegg.com Return Policy. Please contact the item's manufacturer for warranty service, if available."

Does this mean I have to send it to ASUS? If so what is the procedure?

Ok, try the clearing of the cmos first by :

Unplug psu from wall. Press pwr button to discharge any current left
Set cmos jumper to clear ( check manual)
Remove cmos battery from mobo ( looks like a coin)

Let it sit like that for a bit (10-20 minutes)

Place cmos battery back
Set cmos jumper to normal
Plug psu back in wall

Keep fingers crossed and fire it up. Hopefully this will help. If it doesn't, then the board is borked. Electronics can go bad for no reason. Newegg's 30day policy is done so you'll have to call Asus's tech support for RMA service:

USA 510-739-3777 (09:00~18:00 Mon.~Fri.)

Support Site: http://livesupport.asus.com

Ok, try the clearing of the cmos first by :

Unplug psu from wall. Press pwr button to discharge any current left
Set cmos jumper to clear ( check manual)
Remove cmos battery from mobo ( looks like a coin)

Let it sit like that for a bit (10-20 minutes)

Place cmos battery back
Set cmos jumper to normal
Plug psu back in wall

Keep fingers crossed and fire it up. Hopefully this will help. If it doesn't, then the board is borked. Electronics can go bad for no reason. Newegg's 30day policy is done so you'll have to call Asus's tech support for RMA service:

USA 510-739-3777 (09:00~18:00 Mon.~Fri.)

Support Site: http://livesupport.asus.com

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. I guess its just my luck if its defective.

Will do. One last thought, can the RAM still be a cause even if it passes the RAM tests on stock speeds? Like a stick is bad or that would show in the RAM test?

All went well. I cleared CMOS and took out the battery and all settings sticked. It even test stable with same memory setting :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Back