• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 780i FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the resolution of the monitor is 2560x1600 then I will get 3 280gtx. Because of that, I will get a nvidia chipset. Since I already have the highest end configuration, I must as well spend more money to get ddr3 and hence use a 790i chipset.

Let me ask you a few questions.

1) What resolution
2) DDR2 or DDR3
3) What GPU(s)
4) What are you using it for
5) What cooling system and CPU do you have? Is it the Q9450 + TRUE?

1) 1680 x 1050
2) DDR2, only looking at upgrading Motherboard atm, not the whole system
3)hopefully 2x inno3d 9800gtx+(only one atm)
4)Gaming and general use + some OCing
5)yep, its the q9450 + TRUE

I cant go for the 750i cause i need 4-5 SATA ports, which the 750i doesnt have and i really wanna set up a SLI system

Last edited:
For that resolution I don't think I would go for a second card, are you needing more performance or is a just because you can thing? I would just hold off for a new card generation down the road when you really need the performance.

Blazing:
How about a 4870X2 with a second 4870 or two 4870X2 for that res?

its more of a because i can thing, the SLI, but i do need another motherboard, this one is frustratingly annoying...

Blazing:
How about a 4870X2 with a second 4870 or two 4870X2 for that res?

Good question. 4870X2 is the single most powerful card around.

Look at this nvidia-skewed game, crysis:http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1OCw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==. 2 280GTX is faster than 2 4870X2. (super high vs high, 31 vs 27fps.) With 3 way 280GTX, performance will be even higher. Note that it's 1920x1600.

In Call of duty 4, it's 83 vs 76.
Grid: 151 vs 78. It's a lot of difference but people say this is ati-skewed game.
Age of cocan 69 vs 55.4.

In all that I've mentioned, 3 way sli should beat 2 4870x2 except for Grid.

maybe its just early and i have not had my coffee yet.....but i dont understand this thread at all....780i FTW is a motherboard....where does resolution come in to play here?

The 780i FTW is a great board for overclocking and has the potential to be upgraded via tri-sli. I have the 790i FTW and I couldnt ask for a better board so far.

maybe its just early and i have not had my coffee yet.....but i dont understand this thread at all....780i FTW is a motherboard....where does resolution come in to play here?

I have to admit I wasn't very clear in my reasoning. This is a great comparison between 280GTX SLI and 4870X2 quadfire. No doubt the 4870X2 is better but once you add a third 280GTX, it should beat 4870X2 quadfire in most games.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=4

We do have yet to test 3-way SLI with the newest generation of NVIDIA hardware, and the 3-way GTX 260 may indeed give 2x 4870 X2 cards a run for their money. We also have no doubt that a 3x GTX 280 solution is going to be the highest performing option available (though we lament the fact that anyone would waste so much money on so much unnecessary (at this point in time) power).

Also, the 280gtx and 260gtx have better minimum frame rates. The 4870X2, on the other hand, goes exceptionally high then dips down to ~25 fps. Therefore, the average fps is not good way of measuring. Look at (H)ard ocp. It also gives you a poor game play experience.

Compliation of 4870X2 reviews: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2216525

Edit: I take back my word that sli scales better. If you continue to read anandtech reviews, you see that 4870X2 has exceptional performance at 2560X1600.

Last edited:
so, back on topic, what do people think of the motherboard? i personally prefer nvidia vid cards, im not a fan boy, but thats just who i am, ive always had nvidia vid cards, and odds are it'll stay that way. But ive never had a nvidia Motherboard chipset.

I'm using this board right now. Its ok. I'd hold off if you could till the new bios comes out for it. I'm personally not having that much luck overclocking with it right now. I had a much easier time OC'ing the regular 780i i had over the FTW version. This is just my expierence so far. I'm still messing with it.

well im not gonna be buying it for another month or so, i gotta finish my exams first, so hopefully by then the new bios will be out. on another note, does any one know if there are xp 64 drivers out for it? there should be but a quick foray into evga's site showed nothing.

Get the FTW edition if the new bios is out when u can buy it, otherwise get the regular version.

well im not gonna be buying it for another month or so, i gotta finish my exams first, so hopefully by then the new bios will be out. on another note, does any one know if there are xp 64 drivers out for it? there should be but a quick foray into evga's site showed nothing.

If they're not on the eVGA site then look on nvidia.com for the nForce drivers. That's where I get any drivers for my nvidia products. Usually the drivers on the manufacturers are what come out with the product initially. nVidia will always refine and release better drivers, especially for video cards, but also for their motherboards. If I remember correctly 9.64 is the most recent version last time I checked. There is a 32 and 64-bit XP driver online ready to download. As far as boards, FTW Edition has far better cooling than the original 780i model. A 60C MCP on a very well cooled board is not good, and you can google to see why they came out with the FTW Edition (complaints :mad:) Enjoy.

Back