• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why all the hate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harvey041

Registered
Well I went from XP 32-bit pro to vista home premium 64-bit a month ago. Mainly I wanted to upgrade to get full access to my 4GB of RAM and see how vista really was. I like it quite a bit, some people think UAC is annoying but I don't mind it at all seeing how it only adds one or two more clicks which takes 2 seconds to do. Not to mention all the other benefits of using vista. After using it for a month I can not see why everybody says they hate vista. I just feel like venting on this subject cause its rather annoying to me.

Because there was a slew of bugs with vista when it was released and the general public or anyone who still uses XP doesn't realize that they have been ironed out. Of course this is just my opinion.

I have had my fair share of problems with vista. It didn't really offer anything over xp for me, so I chose not to upgrade my desktop. I did run it on laptop for awhile until just recently when i switched it to ubuntu.

Yeah when vista came out, for like a whole year there was practically no drivers out, and those that were out were sketchy at best. I went vista about 3 months after its release, couldnt work anything - and left the disc on the side for over a year, tried it again, still about the same, so i put it on about 6 months ago, and its all good now.

Plus the fact that when i first went vista i couldnt find anything, and it kinda took me out of my groove. With XP i clicked away without even reading half the stuff, cos i knew it like the back of my hand, and it took a little change, like the elviscerator mentioned..

Because it breaks applications, that's why.

OK, with some effort I have all my old apps except one
working under Vista, but it shouldn't have been that way.

Have an old app that doesn't work? Email me, I'll help.

I bought my Dad a new laptop a couple last year when walmart had the $200 acer laptop. At first he was complaining it was always crashing some apps wouldnt work right ect... Well now he loves it.

I think the reasons why people hate vista has already been covered here. First people just don't know much about it and yes as wolfy said people fear change. Second it was buggy at first and who wants to spend money on something that doesn't. I think I may upgrade when the time is right but by then there will be the next windows that everyone hates....

dont forget Vista was rushed to production - they wanted a lot longer. Version 7 should be a lot more solid and i think is the last to offer 32bit versions. I hope it stays the main OS for longer than Vista. XP held the crown for years!

I think they are just pushing out W7 so soon since Vista isn't taking off.

As for me I dual boot XP Pro 32bit and Vista Ultimate x64. I used Vista in the beginning and hated it, I still hate some aspects of it like buggy networking problems but other than that its gotten alot better than the RTM version.

dont forget Vista was rushed to production - they wanted a lot longer. Version 7 should be a lot more solid and i think is the last to offer 32bit versions. I hope it stays the main OS for longer than Vista. XP held the crown for years!

IMO they should force people to go 64 bit, but i can see why they sent out 32 bit versions.

its a pita that there has been 64 bit technology out for close to 7-8 years? and its not caught on mainstream.

i guess its something microsoft is not pushing for a likely reason of legacy hardware?

I found no compelling reason to upgrade. I tell people I hate vista but that's more exaggeration than anything else. I'm not a huge fan of the new interface and it just doesn't feel as responsive. I think vista is the new WinME/2k except not nearly as bad. It's just one of those os's that will get skipped over once the next upgrade comes out. I'm hoping that windows 7 will be the xp of it's time

This isn't an issue of 'hate' so much as it is a bang for your buck issue.

Even if Vista worked perfectly out of the box... (What new O/S does?)

Even if Vista didn't require a substantial change in minimum machine requirements compared to XP... (it does)

What does Vista buy me in terms of functionality for my extra $150 - $400 per machine? [ not including any upgrading I will need to do ]

ANSWER: Not a whole hell of a lot. That's why Vista sales numbers suck.

XP was always stable as a rock for me.

It seems as though when I got vista on my new machine, I had a new problem every week.

Im good at forum trolling an solving pc issues (as most of you are).

The thing is that not many people using computers are as adept as overclockers at researching and solving problems.

Most people simply want it to just work.

Vista worked fine from the start, only problem I had was manufacturers not supporting their own product with drivers.

The big thing is memory now, Vista just handles larger amounts of memory (not to mention multi-core processors) better than XP since it was designed for that from the ground up.

I wouldn't necessarily call Windows 7 rushed either. I mean XP is the only exception to the 2-year release timeline MSFT usually follows. Heck, look at Apple, Leopard was released last year (great OS but lots of problems for upgraders) and Snow leopard will be coming out between now and this time next year sometime. So they're following an even tighter schedule.

IMO they should force people to go 64 bit, but i can see why they sent out 32 bit versions.

its a pita that there has been 64 bit technology out for close to 7-8 years? and its not caught on mainstream.

i guess its something microsoft is not pushing for a likely reason of legacy hardware?

There are still a TON of P4's out there in the wild, lacking 64-bit support.

Why the Vista hate?

Simple. It is slow. It is a resource hog. It is bloated with a ton of **** that isnt needed and that most ppl dont want contributing to the former 2 points.

the problem is that companies like mine are not going to upgrade their equipment when they dont need to. Making a definative cut always means that legacy holds on for dear life instead of being phased out gradually.

Not that i am saying it doesnt need to happen, but at current, there is nothing so demanding in the world of the average user for either them or a company to fork out $500 per seat for no real advantage (moving from 32 to 64 bit hard ware for say office use)

I had more problems with XP than Vista

But i think thats because my XP machine was a HP POS

Back