• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a PCI-E 2.0 GPU work on a regular PCI-E x16 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augie1111

The reason I ask is that I just installed an EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ 256BIT DDR3 on my P5Q Pro and it works beautifully, plus the price was right at $117 ATT! :thup:Ignore the price you see today.;)

This price beats anything hands down that I can find today for an 8800GT which is an equivalent card to my knowledge. Since I got the 9800 so cheaply, I assume the sale price will be repeated soon enough and I'm a patient person.

The board I'd like to install the 9800GT on is an A8N-E which says nothing about PCI-E 2.0 in the manual. My main objective is the most bang for the buck as this will only be a dedicated folding machine plus a server.

Thanks all.:)

EDIT: Maybe I'll just get an 8400 or similar at $60.:shrug:

I'm running my 8800GT fine on my board, and it's not PCI-E 2.0 compatible or so I've read.

Yep. a 2.0 pci card will work on a 1.0 pci slot, it will just have decreased performance. how much performance loss you notice is another matter. It's pretty minimal though for the most part.

PCIe 2 is backwards compatible with PCIe 1 boards.

performance loss is not existant is more like it unless your running Xfire or SLI with high end cards.

Yep. a 2.0 pci card will work on a 1.0 pci slot, it will just have decreased performance. how much performance loss you notice is another matter. It's pretty minimal though for the most part.

Perfectly compatible, no performance loss.

Back