• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help m eunderstand 3DMark score.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmers

I had 2 3850's in CF with my same rig and got a 3DMark score of about 16k. Now since I've replaced the 3850's withy a 4870 my score has gone down to about 14k. What gives? The performance is clearly better in games, but why so bad in the benchmarks? I figured my benchmark would of went way up.

I cleared the old drivers. I've tried different versions of drivers including the new 8.10, but I still can't come close to my old score.

Ideally, you need a much higher clocked processor to keep up with the 4870.

This is false. I notice minimal point increases when going from 3.0ghz to 4.0ghz with my e8400 and my hd4870. In 3dmark06 were talking from 14.5k to 15.5k and then after overclocking the card I can push over 16k. 3.0Ghz runs this card perfectly well.

what is your q6600 clocked at when your doing your 3dmark runs? my score is 17k and i have a single 9800GTX, i just want to compare them and see if its my cpu score helping or the video card.

You had 2x 3850's and judging by your CPU I would say you OC'd the 3850's also. Honestly don't think a stock 4870 will break their numbers.

The 3850's were OC'd a bit. The 4870 smokes the CF 3850's in all games, so I figured my benchmark would go up.

Alot of current games don't use Crossfire. A single card score of 14k is pretty good. Tomorrow or the next day my Asus 4850 Top is here and I will be aiming for a 790mhz GPU OC the day I get it. My setup in sig like said was 15,477 so very close to what you were at, I will let you know my results. But I'm willing to bet it will probably be a bit under what my current score is. 14.5k for a single card and I would be quiet happy so hopefully I can get that.

**edit** Also is your 4870 clocked up? And if you really wanna see how the 4870 fairs against the 3850's get Vantage and give both setups a run at that. 3D06 is very CPU intensive. With my CPU and 3870's at stock clocks I only hit like 11.5k in 3D06. I then cranked up the processor to 3.22Ghz and I hit something like 14.9k, Ramping up the 3870's from 775mhz core to 876mhz only netted me that additional 500 or so points.

So if you really want to measure the gfx power get Vantage and watch the GPU score, should give you a much better idea of how close they are. I bet the Vantage scores will be decently close (under 1k points diff).

Back