• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870X2 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

I recently swapped my 280GTX for a 4870X2 but I seem to be having aload of issues trying to get it to run well.

Mainly with playing GRID. I get a fair amount of slow down while playing, nothign too serious but you can defo notice it. Using FRAPS i see my FPS is max 60 and it seems to slow down when it dips below that. Firstly this seems rather low for my PC (I can bench 3dmark06 no worries at 24k).

I have tried so many combinations in the ATI catalyst but nothing seems to resolve the issue.
In game I have tried 8AA, 4AA, 2AA and No AA but that does not work and even strangley it does not effect the framerate (60ish).

I no its not a heat issue as I have set the fan at 70% which keeps thigns nice and cool(ish)

Other info on my set which I hope helps trying to get soem answers:

QX9650 @4.2 under H2o
4GB OCZ Reaper X @ 1441 MHZ
2X Velocirapors in RAID0
Eneermax 1000w PSU
ASUS Max Extreme X38 Mobo
XP32
ATI Driver 8.9

I am beginning to think I will just go back to my 280GTX as I never had any issues with any games. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with these X2's but I seem to be spending more time trying to get games running well than actually playing them:argue:

Sounds like a driver issue to me... did you do the usual driver sweeper clean up doo dah after uninstalling your nvidia drivers? It seems that the x2 is plagued with driver issues... iv been relatively lucky with mine, the only thing i cant get to run is 3dmark06 and vantage!! oh well..... :D

Yeah I have run driversweeper on initial install and also eveytime i have reinstalled the drivers.

What other games do u play in which you have the same problem? im running the same driver but unfortunatly i dont have GRID... this way if i have any of the same games i can test them out and see if i experience the same problem... :attn:

I'm actually running a very similar setup to yours. I also switched from the GTX 280 to the 4870x2.

I also had a heap of problems with GRID.

I can tell you that your problems are entirely driver related. GRID ran like poop on a stick for me with the 8.8 cats. The 8.9 do much better for me, although sometimes the first time I start up the game there are these black horizontal bars going across the screen, and to get rid of them I'll have to restart the game once or twice... This card and these drivers also HATES Neverwinter Nights 2. That game makes the card stop responding to driver api calls, and sometimes VPU recover will reset the graphics card and it'll recover.

Anyway back to your GRID problems, I had to try several versions of the drivers to get it to behave kinda ok. What I do now is just install the 8.9 display drivers but not the Catalyst Suite. I use EXPERTool Ati to control the fan. I really hope Ati fixes their drivers before this card becomes obsolete.

Not related to your problem, but I noticed that your sig says that you're running XP32. With that card, isn't your available system RAM severely crippled?

Back