• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS2 -> USB adapter for IBM Model M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

This MAY be a stupid question, but there's a reason I ask. I'm thinking of getting an iMac, which has no PS2 ports - only USB. I use an IBM Model M keyboard and I'd need to use it with the iMac so I'd need an adapter to do so.

My question is: is there any reason it wouldn't work with a PS2 -> USB adapter? I ask because I seem to recall reading ages ago that these keyboards wouldn't work with such adapters for some reason I don't remember. Will they work? If not, what are my options if I want to use it with the iMac?

Thanks.

According to the wiki:

Some PS/2 to USB adapters are unreliable because the Model M tends to draw more power than some adapters expect.

So it seems as thought it may be hit or miss. I'm sure you have a ps2 adapter lying around, try it out on the computer you have now.If not, they're cheap enough.

So it seems as thought it may be hit or miss. I'm sure you have a ps2 adapter lying around, try it out on the computer you have now.If not, they're cheap enough.

I don't have one, but I will get one before I go risking getting a machine that I can't use with the keyboard I've had most of my life.

a long time ago i purchased a PS2 to USB adaptor and modified my model M.

what i did was removed the cordset, disassembled the adaptor.
i then desoldered the PS2 connector from the adaptor, and desoldered the usb cable. i had a type B usb connector lying around.
i epoxied the usb type B connector to where the original cable came out of the back. then i took and wired the power to the keyboard logic to the usb power. wiring the signal lines to the correct places on the PS2 side of the adaptor. i then wired up the USB side with the keyboard drawing its power from that. oh i also used a 250ma poly fuse on the usb port because i am paranoid. also i doubt that the adaptor and keyboard will use over 250ma.

...The adapter still hasn't arrived but if it doesn't end up working I suppose I'll have to get a Das Keyboard.

Back