• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zippy 6500 / New Video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apenland01

I have a Zippy 6500 (500W) PSU that has been excellent with no problems. However, I have recently purchased a new 22" monitor and plan on buying a new ATI 4850 video card to help it...........will this power supply work with the 4850 video cards, or should I ask this question in the video forum?

The system in the sig is current as of today :D

I have a Zippy 6500 (500W) PSU that has been excellent with no problems. However, I have recently purchased a new 22" monitor and plan on buying a new ATI 4850 video card to help it...........will this power supply work with the 4850 video cards, or should I ask this question in the video forum?

The system in the sig is current as of today :D

Apenland,

You should be just fine. You may be picking up another 50-60w with that 4850 but I don't see you being over 350 - 375w with it even overclocked.

You should not have a problem. 500W should suffice AND you have a Zippy. :)

I'm running a 6600P G1 for a few years now. No problems. Worth every penny. :)

THANKS!

My 2 biggest worries were overall power needed and having the right connector for the new video card. It's been so long since I actually took apart everything to look at connectors and stuff that I wasn't sure what I had. The 4850 video cards take either a 6 pin or 8 pin power connector. I'll check it out later today and see if I have one on the PSU.

Thanks again for the replies!

The 6850 takes one six pin connector. The 4870 takes two six pin connectors. The 4870 X2 requires an 8 pin connector. If you fall short of connectors, use a molex-->6 pin adapter. :)

Pics

I'll snap some pics of the PSU when I install the new card later this week. I might even wipe off some of the dirt and grime first!

Zippy Pics

Not much to look at, but great power from this unit.

I got the Palit 4850 and it seems to work okay, other than a few games that cause a driver crash. It's certainly not a power issue.

Attachments

• computer 002.jpg
    computer 002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 85
  • computer 006.jpg
    computer 006.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 85
  • computer 003.jpg
    computer 003.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 79
downflow

Don't you think it would be better to have your CPU fan to blow downward onto the board? :shrug:

I believe it is downflow. I haven't actually tested it in 3 years since I built the system in 2005, but I'm pretty sure it goes down through the cooling fins and out the back of the case. Cool air is pulling in from the side panel over the top of the CPU fan, so it must be moving down toward the the board.

There is also a 120mm fan in the front bottom of the case that is pushing cool air into the case. Front bottom fan=pulling cool air in, CPU fan down to MB, Rear top fan=pushing hot air out of the case.

Most fans (if not all) pull from the side opposite the label, so your CPU fan is blowing away from the motherboard.

I'll check

I'm having to RMA my new video card, so when I pull it, I'll check the direction of the airflow. We'll see what it is REALLY doing in there!

Back