• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG 8 Error Reports Zone Alarm As Virus (Fake Warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Right as of just 2hrs ago I've had loads of phone calls from people I have built or repaired PCs for using AVG 8 Free Edition. The latest updates seem to detect certain Zone Alarm files as trojan horses and this causes ZA not to load.

It has been found this is a false detection and doing the following will by pass the files been detected

Open up AVG User Interface from the Run Program mouse selector
Go to Advanced Settings under Tools menu selection
Go to Resident Shield line
Go to the Exceptions line underneath that category
Hit Add path button
Paste the path C:\Windows\System32\Zonelabs into the GUI window
Hit the Apply button at the bottom
Close the AVG User Interface window

If the above does not work a simple removal of ZA and re-install should solve the problem it has done for my brothers PC. I am not sure if this effects AVG 8 Anti Virus Full or just the free edition but no need to worry also updating it after installing ZA again seems to have fixed it.

Don't use Zonealarm is my advice, I had a whole host of problems when I used ZoneAlarm, I reccoment comodo, not sure about that for a home user though...

not too long ago avg detected cpuz as a virus, a few months later it detected winamp as a trojan, just recently it once again said winamp was a virus.
I have recently gave avg the finger and switched to avira.
All 3 times were right after new updates, false positives really are tiring when they happen too often.
AVG has been slipping this last year IMO

ZoneAlarm is an infection in it's self. On the computer's I work on, I never install the Resident Shield (or activate it).

Having the same problem on 2 computers now. We are reinstalling zone alarm.

This update made me uninstall zonealarm. Grrrr.....

Can anyone recommend a better software firewall?

Yes what would be a good choice? I think both are issues now AVG and Zone Alarm.

Thanks for posting this tread.

Back