• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any good cheap laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

i am looking for a laptop in the sub $600 range. does anyone know of a laptop that has relatively robust performance? i am not looking for a crazy gaming laptop, but something that is going to hold up and perform better than the 1.7ghz single core (intel m), 1gb ram that i have now.

anyone know of any good deals? is refurbed the best way to go here?

thanks!

If you're looking to game, netbooks like the mini are out of the question. If gaming isn't an issue, and you do want a netbook, look no further than the ASUS Eee PC 1000H for $450. For another $30 you can add a 2gb stick of RAM.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009302&prodlist=celebros

The Asus Atom machines have the processing power of the old Pentium III's and since he already has a P4, he needs something more substantial if he wants to see a performance boost.

I don't think you will find much under $600 that will show a big boost. Those p4-m machines are pretty nice (I just bought one p4-1.8ghz for a friend).

Just keep an eye out for the Best Buy ad.

Every Sunday we have a $500-600 laptop. Typical stats for the $500 are Dual Core Pentium (Core based), 2gb ram, 160gb hard drive, 15.4" screen. Typical stats for the $600 are either: 15.4" screen, Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz 2mb L2, 3gb ram, 250gb hard drive, Intel 4500/3100 Integrated or a 14.1" AMD Turion/Athlon X2, 3gb/4gb, 250gb ram.

Just make sure you walk in on Sunday or Monday and not a day after that or you'll be stuck having to pay for the "optimized" ones or they'll be sold out entirely.

A very good laptop can be had for $600 if you're willing to pay tax. Just this week, Best Buy has this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9035572&type=product&id=1218010849257
Toshiba for $499 with Dual Core AMD, 3gb, 250gb hard drive, ATI integrated card, 15.4". It's ugly, but I promise you it's better than buying a "used Pentium 4 M" laptop on Craigslist.

If you don't want to go with those, get a Dell Outlet. Those are AWESOME. Check Slickdeals.net coupon forum for coupons on them. You can sometimes get as much as 30% off an outlet Studio or Inspiron. Typically the deal will be $500 can get you a Core 2 Duo, 320gb, Bluetooth, 3gb ram, wifi, webcam, any color you want. $600 can get you dedicated graphics card on a studio laptop.

Dell is pretty much the cheapest option.

Combined with the dell student discount, you get a really great deal.

Back