• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q not booting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Picked up a P5Q, E8400, 4-1gig Crucial Rendention DDR2-6400 memory modules...Corsair VX450 and a XFX 8600 GT pci-E video card.

Set it up on the bench with one memory module.

Shorted the pins and the heatsink fan spun up...Then quit...Started again but no boot.

Tried all four different memory modules in each DIMM...Same thing.

Took the 8600 out and installed a GeForce 4 MX440 PCI video card...CPU fan starts...Stops then will go ahead and spin up...Still no boot.

Checked the CMOS battery...3.043 volts...Left the battery out about 10 minutes.

Tried single stick of G.Skill F4 PC6400 and same thing...Tried connecting USB mouse...Dont have a USB keyboard.

I do not have any 512mb stocker type memory modules to try.

Any idea's ???

:bang head

I am running the stock heatsink...But it appears to be installed properly.

The chipset cooler is getting smoking hot...I mean burn you hot after just a few minutes running.

It also appears to be installed properly.

I just bought it from Directron today and really do not want to mess with chipset cooler.

Using MX-2...Heatsink and processor are making good even contact and the bottom of the board is not getting hot at the CPU...But man the chipset cooler and copper block on the backside of the board are getting crazy hot.

Guess I will check the chipset cooler...Kinda weird.

Anybody know a good cheapy memory module that will for sure boot with my setup ???

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like the board is shorting out somehow or you recieved a borked board. Chipset should'nt be that hot to begin with.

Well I snatched the chipset cooler off and it had some hard as a rock timm applied on it, but it was only making contact with about 1/3rd of the chipset.

Cleaned it up...MX2'ed it and it is still getting crazy hot.

Also hooked up a speaker and am getting no beep codes...Nothing...Not a peep out of it.

I have it sitting on the anti-static bad on my bench.

Building this box for a friend who owns a bar here in Houston and it really will probably never be taxed...No overclocking...2 WD6400AAKS's, Lite-On Lightscribe burner, floppy.

Seems a Corsair VX450W would be plenty power supply for the system...Asus states a 400watt supply in the manual...And with just one stick of memory and the video card it would seem to be enough.

Tested the power supply with a Antec power supply tester and it checks out.

Strange it will not give me any beep codes.

Guess I will take the memory out and see if it will talk to me.

Dang if it doesn't talk to you , then that's a bad sign my friend :-/. It should make some sort of squeal/beep. No sound means no soul :cry:

Lucky for me I live in Houston...So I will just take it to Directron and they will give me another one.

I am considering getting a different board...

The smoking hot chipset thing has me weary...No way a board could live producing that kind of heat.

I could use it as a multi-tasking board frying eggs...Kinda skeery.

Sounds like you got a nerfed board. Running a 389 FSB but in a small form factor case NB isnt getting hot enough that touching it would be an issue. RMA it and give it another go.

Back