• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer turning on randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tombo12345

My girlfriends sister's computer is turning on randomly in the night. Turning off, then on. It's possessed or something. Now warning signs all point to the power supply being messed up, but I can't think of any logical reason for a power supply to do that even if it was broken. Is there any other reason that this would happen?

maybe the power button is going, you could check the casing on the front panel, or something could also be shorting on the case.
do you use wake on lan or wake on usb etc?

wake-on-lan maybe ? another longshot, but try disabling "wake-on-lan" in the bios. I also think cheap psu's can do some weird things before they kick the can. Do you have another psu you know is good that you can test?

Check the bios for anything that has auto On function

My buddy set the comp to turn on at 4am every morning, not funny! but i know Asus bios (and I assume others) have like a million ways that they can turn on automatically.

In my experience it is usually the power or reset button. Could be broke but wires just may be shorting. As it turns on and off I would look at the reset switch first.

Back