• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help fix my internet, i cant get anymore WUs without it! (linux)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

so ever since i installed server 2008 (on a separate drive mind you) my internet has not worked in linux. my distro is Xubuntu for all intensive purposes (technically mythbuntu). the internet works fine in windows, but when in linux, it tried to load the page but times out. "ifconfig" shows my IP address from my router, so it has a connection, but for whatever reason its not giving me access to the internet, i cant even log into the router. its not a browser setting because pidgin wont connect either. i really dont know where to begin on this one. any ideas?

Can you ping the router? Also can you ping anything out on the Internet? DNS name or IP?

cannot ping.

the router is DHCPing other computers, but the one in question is setup as static (its a server so static is easier) and its been working fine. until now. i tried turning the computer as DHCP, and no dice wouldnt work still. yes when i ifconfig i get the ipaddress, subnet and gateway. just when i open the browser or try to connect to the internet, it gives me nothing. its linux, no firewall. like i said i havent changed any settings except installing vista on another HDD.

Change in the Network connection manager on the Xubuntu box make it a static , with the IP given out by the DHCP and your gateway IP DNS - Pri ,DNS -sec and if this doesnt fix disable IPv6

i may have just "fixed" it. although i had to change the settings from what they were to something else. before i had it setup as a static IP, both in my router and in linux.

my "fix" was to put the computer on roaming mode (dhcp) and tell the dhcp server in the router to always give its mac address the same IP. this is not the solution id hoped for, as i would rather have figured out what went wrong and why its not working but this will do i suppose.

I think your fix is actually a better idea, anyway. My experience has shown me that IP reservation within DHCP is more reliable than a random static IP on a DHCP network.

It may be that your router picked up your Server2k8 connection and didn't release it when you booted back into Ubuntu. Unlikely, but possible.

Back