• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPhone and GPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albyno

hey guys debating with my self about buying one or not.

got a few questions. please discuss whether you agree or disagree.

1. i know the GPS uses google maps which use data to download them as they are not on the phone its self but when they have been downloaded and the phone 'caches' them how long will it hold them in that cache for?

2. is there a GPS program that has all the maps installed on it and when i load it it wont DL data from the phone network and wont cost me money? eg tomtom make one for nokia which has turn by turn.

3. does anyone know how true it is about a 32gb iphone coming out.

4. i heard people were having issues with dead spots on the touch screens - has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

1. Dont know, would assume its not a specific time that it holds them. Its probably going to be a predetermined amount of space alloted for cache, and at some point it will just get overwritten.

2. Not that I'm aware of, but that would be VERY nice.

3. I would guess its just speculation. Are you really needing 32gb? I have a LOT of music and i have a good bit on my phone and havent filled my 16gb phone yet.

4. I havent noticed any dead spots.

thanks jdf, i know tomtom is making one but there is no announced date of release yet and unless ppl hack it im guessing will cost $xx.xx would be nice for google to make gmaps downloadable.

and no i dont even use 8gb of my 80gb ipod. but i would like to get a 16gb and if the rumours are true then on release of the 32gb the 8 is stoped and the 16 is dropped in price. was hoping i could wait that long get a 16gb and give my GF my ipod since she has already filled her 80gb ipod and wants another.... with what i have nfi

1. i think the cache is removed once you close google maps, but not sure..

2. i believe TOM TOM is making a "proper" gps system for the iphone.. both maps and voice indication on the phone. not sure on the launch date

3. not sure about this one, for me right now 16Gb seems more than enough

4. my mom's iphone had that, but due to the fact that she dropped it a couple times... sent it in and we got a new one.

2. Yeah nothing legit yet, I'm not holding my breath.

3. Its inevitable.

4. Never heard of this! Maybe when I yell tap! at my phone for not moving quick enough my finger is actually hitting a dead spot!

Back