• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabulation

Good day i would like to ask for some pro's opinion. Im hoping to upgrade the 5 computers that i got, here are the following specs:

3 Computers with the same specs
Main Rig
AMD Sempron 2200+
ECS KM400-M2 Mobo
DDR 512Mb Ram
Nvidia GeForce MX440 8xagp
Seagate Fujitsu HD 80Gb
Windows XP service pack 2

1 Computer
Main Rig
AMD Sempron 2600+
Asrock CPU EZ K8Upgrade-NF3Mobo
DDR 512Mb Ram
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 128mb
Seagate Fujitsu HD 80Gb

1 Computer
Main Rig
AMD Sempron 2800+
EPOX nForce4 DDR: 82PASLI/8NPAGLI Se Mobo
DDR 512Mb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS 256mb
Seagate Fujitsu HD 80Gb

Im hoping to upgrade my Graphics Card and add 512Mb of ram on each of the computers. so on the first 3 computers from the above with the same specs i was hoping to upgrade the graphic card into a "PC ATI X1650pro 512 ddr2 dvi 128bit", the problem with these 3 computers is im not sure if the said graphic card would fit. based on what i read its on AGP slot so im not sure if the said graphic card is AGP. :bang head

then on the 3rd and 4rth computer i was hoping to upgrade the Graphic card to a "INNO3D 8500GT 512ddr2 dvi 128bit". the problem here is also the slot if it would fit as im not so sure of it. :bang head

I hope you can give opinions if the said graphic cards is ok and recommend other types of graphic cards that i can choose from thanks in advance god bless.:):)

Take a look here: CLICK ME

All the cards shown in that link are AGP. Take your pick, although make sure your PSUs can handle the card you pick.

What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrades, i.e. what are the uses of the systems. These things are pretty old to be putting money into. I believe your 2200+ systems are Socket A which are going to be AGP. The second looks like a 754 with AGP as well. Your last looks to be 754 with PCI-E. An AGP 1650 would work with the first four and an 8500 would be fine with the last one. I am just wondering what you are hoping to accomplish, these things are to old to run any modern games.

Also where are you located? From googling those boards most appeared to be across the pond.

@MakubeX
Thanks for the list it was pretty useful.

@ou_phidelt
im trying to at least put a 1GB ram and 512mb worth of graphics card on each of the computers. well the said computers were what i used to run a small internet cafe in our neighborhood for like 4yrs now, when i bought those computers i was really on a budget so i couldnt get more specs as i wanted. lastly im hoping to at least let my customers play games more smoother like warcraftIII(DOTA),CABALPH, and some online games. i was rather feeling the 3 first set of computers were rather really getting slow on some online games. so i decided to at least upgrade my graphic cards and add some ram on it so it would run a little smoother. by the way im from the philippines sorry if my english is not that fluent, your message was really helpful man thank u very much i hope you could add more infos and suggestions on what to do.

PS i know the specs i listed are very out of date xD its like really really old but i guess the CPU can still handle the games but the graphic cards and ram are really a last resort instead of assembling a whole new 5 computers. the replies were really helpful hope on more to come thanks guys.

you could prolly find 3 more 512mb sticks for fairly cheap.
Are all the videoslots AGP?

If so, the 7600GS, x1650pro would be decent upgrades, but would not play at max settings most likely. If you could find a x1950pro for cheap, those are more powerful.

You could also concider OCing those semprons to get a bit more cpu power. Are these socket 754 cpus?

@whitepawn
yeah i hope i could canvas some hardware for more cheap costs because i got a tight budget for it. well better than nothing hehe. the x1950pro u mentioned is good but i think its pci-e it wouldnt fit on the first 3 computers if im right xD not sure though.

well heres a list man thanks for the suggestions much appreciated:

#3x
sempron 2200+ socket a (462) <--- i just overclocked it to 533mhz it seems to be working fine im not that familiar with oc'ing but i followed like +10's and never adjusted the voltage.
ECS KM400-M2 Mobo (i think these 3 are agp slots)
Nvidia GeForce MX440 8x agp

#1x
AMD Sempron 2600+ socket 754 (never bothered to oc since im not pretty sure of it might burn it xD)
Asrock CPU EZ K8Upgrade-NF3Mobo (this one im not sure if its agp or pci-e)
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 128mb (i hope i can change this to a higher spec)

#1x
AMD Sempron 2800+ socket 754 (never bothered to oc since im not pretty sure of it might burn it xD)
EPOX nForce4 DDR: 82PASLI/8NPAGLI Se Mobo (same but i think this is pci-e)
Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS 256mb (well this vidcard is good and i can oc it but i didnt tried xD im scared but its sli i dont think theres still 7100 gs 256 which i could buy so i can use its SLI feature to make it 512mb)

i apologize im a real noob a this kind of stuff hope someone can share more knowledge thanks in advance again and god bless

for the socket 754, if you could find some 3000+ venices for like ~20 bucks each. you might be able to get 2.4~2.5ghz out of it. The 1gig of ram would definitely help.

However, if you can't get this stuff for next to nothing, i say don't bother, as these machines are pretty old now and if you need newer stuff to be able to run newer games at decent settings.

CabalPH eh? Try tipidpc.com for second hand parts and maybe try their forum to get info on local availability and prices for AGP cards. 7300GT will be a very noticeable upgrade and easy to come across, 3650 is also cheap and popular upgrades for old cra... ooops, old cafe PCs in ph =)

CabalPH eh? Try tipidpc.com for second hand parts and maybe try their forum to get info on local availability and prices for AGP cards. 7300GT will be a very noticeable upgrade and easy to come across, 3650 is also cheap and popular upgrades for old cra... ooops, old cafe PCs in ph =)

i can agree with the hd3650 but don't waste money on the 7300GT.

@th3
ok the hd3650 looks good its pci-e though so its not gonna fit on the 3 computers with the same specs but im planning on getting 1 for my pci-e slot pc. so how bout the agp slotted pc's i got i think i wont stick with the 7's model of gforce since the least i want is in the 8's model, so any suggestions for agp slot graphic cards? i hope its at least 512mb.

@White_Pawn
dude whats better hd3650 or inno3d 8500gt? both 512mb

heres a comparison between the graphics cards u guys suggested in terms of price:
ATI X1650 is 2740php <---
ATI X1950 is not in the price list yet xD wth..
INNO3D 8500GT is 2410php <--- pci-e
HD3650 512ddr2 128bit dvi is 2840 <--- pci-e

so in conclusion from those above what will i choose xD by the way thanks for the suggestions and tips its really helpful guys godspeed ill be waiting for replies tnx

PS.
omg im all over the graphics card thingy how bout memory xD im not so sure if for example my ram is pc333 would it be compatible if i added a 512MB PC3200 DDR 400 or 512MB PC4200 DDR2 533 or 512MB PC5300 DDR II 667 SODIMM. sorry if im obnoxious i just dont really get the terms involved in the names of the following rams.

Last edited:
3650 is available in AGP, much better than 1650 at just a few hundred php extra. X1650Pro is very old and not very powerful.

For your s939/PCIe rig you could get something quite a bit better than 3650 for a few thousand extra, i heard 9800GT is quite cheap there now (like just above 7k), and 9600GT been at a good price for a while, around 6k. Too much for a cafe rig but its nice to have one good rig also eh? =)

About 8500GT, i bought a Palit 8500GT in Ph earlier this year for a mATX rig, i would advice you to stay away from it, its very cheap but not that cheap for its performance level, not anymore.

HD3650 for your AGP rigs and HD4670 or 9600GT for your PCIe rig, but if you are far from mla availability could be a problem, so i still think you should check out the tipidpc.com forums to get advice from ppl in your local area.

hd3650 > 8500GT

The 8500GT has the performance level of a 6600GT.

For ram. Buy DDR400 (pc3200). Take the DDR333 (pc2700) sticks out of 2 of the boxes and stick them into the slowest socket A box. Then put the ddr400 ram into the other socket 754 boxes. You should then have 1.5gigs in the socket A and 1 gig each in the socket 754 boxes.

@The / white_pawn
thanks guys now ive decided what to do and took ur suggestions ima go to mla this coming weekend to shop for the said hardwares thanks again.

Back