• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 for 3d studio max? or Q6600 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

hey there im considering buying a new machine for alot of the HD renders ive been doing in max lately (taking forever on my AMD x2 3ghz / 3850).

I was going to buy a Q6600 / 8800GT in SLI since Q6600 seems to be the best bang for the buck right now.

My question is should i invest in the i7 when it comes out mid next month (if thats the actual release date?) or just go ahead and get the setup i was thinking about?

best regards,
eddy

What is the budget? Q6600 and i7 are pretty far apart price wise. You will likely spend double on i7 compared to Q6600 system.(CPU/motherboard/memory)

And whats with SLI...i think it wont make much difference, rather get 4850 coz its more advanced technically...i heard it supports some acceleration with CS4 which Nvidia Geforce doesnt
Yes, i7 is the way to go but there are two constraints => 1) Cost 2)Stability

Anyone heard of the launch date for i7?
I am still working off of Nov 17th but that is not 100% confirmed
Just really need my new rig :D

well cost isnt a huge issue i dont want to spend more then 1500 on this rig if possible

whats the cost for cpu/mobo with i7?

well cost isnt a huge issue i dont want to spend more then 1500 on this rig if possible

whats the cost for cpu/mobo with i7?

1500 will be hard with bloomfield

2.66GHz bloomfield ~ 350
Motherboard ~ 400
DDR3 Ram ~ 300
Video ~ 250
-------------------------
~ 1300 before tax and the rest of the system.

This is all best guess as we dont have official pricing for the CPU/MoBo/RAM
OCZ is the only company as far as i know to have said anything out tri-channel DDR3 kits. they have 6 that will be out soon.

edit:
FYI i am looking to spend about $2500 CAD on my system
Just hope the launch is the 17th of Nov. I am tired of waiting for a new desktop.
Only have a laptop now :(

Last edited:
yeah i forgot about the tri ddr for the system. I dont really see how an i7 would out perform a 3-3.2ghz Q6600 in max enough to make me want to invest that much. Does anyone disagree?

I guess really I just have to wait and see like most people lol

it should perform alot better especially after ppl start updating their programs for i7

and some ppl have the need to have the latest and greatest lol **** im going to be one of those guys that gets i7 just because....

What? $400 for a Nehalem motherboard? Yeah, DDR3 is getting a lot cheaper, but I still won't buy DDR3 until double my bandwidth (DDR3-1600) is affordable.

Last edited:
Motherboards will probably be in the $300 neighborhood. Memory is likely be around that price. You are going to need three sticks and not many people are going to want to downgrade to 3GB's so you are looking at a 6GB kit that is going to likely need "special" low voltage i7 ram. 6GB of low voltage 1600 memory is not going to be cheap.

And whats with SLI...i think it wont make much difference, rather get 4850 coz its more advanced technically...i heard it supports some acceleration with CS4 which Nvidia Geforce doesnt
Yes, i7 is the way to go but there are two constraints => 1) Cost 2)Stability

Nvidia supports acceleration with CS4, Ive never heard anything about ATI, which i dont see how much faster you can go in those appplications anyway unless your doing edting with premiere or after affects.

Motherboards will probably be in the $300 neighborhood. Memory is likely be around that price. You are going to need three sticks and not many people are going to want to downgrade to 3GB's so you are looking at a 6GB kit that is going to likely need "special" low voltage i7 ram. 6GB of low voltage 1600 memory is not going to be cheap.

I hope your right with the Motherboards, but from what i heard they will be ore than X48 boards. They are not going to be cheap is the only thing I know for sure.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_gold_low_voltage_triple_channel

6 GB kits looks very tempting and i am sure this one will be over $300

Back