• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cable do i need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
check out the link below. you need this to be able to use the optical out. The digital I/O on the card is called a flexijack (thats the white thing that you said looks like a headphone jack). the connector in the link plugs into the white flexijack on the back of your card.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=1780&category=1

after that all you need is an optical audio cable and you should be good to go.

so let me get this straight. If you also buy a set of speakers with a decoder built in, then this add on hardware, and then pay to purchase the PowerDVD software, then you'll surely be able to watch a movie in surround sound (the bare minimum standard format)?

you dont even need that Creative doo-hickey to do it either. Go to Rat Shack and get yourself a 1/8" mono to mono RCA adaptor, and run a coaxial digital cable from the digital I/O flexi-jack. Cost you about $3 instead of $15.

I always have a mini to RCA around, more like a dozen these days. Does it matter if its a "mono" to "mono" or will the average stereo version work too?

Oh and if I read it right now, you need one of each, the above and the dig coax?

Actually I just went throught the process of finding out that there is isn't much diff b/t a std. cable, especially a video RCA type cable, and a "digital coax" and they are interchangable. The video type are constructed identically, and has to do with the 59 Ohms (or was 75) obviously more suited to this cable config. The number of conductors is the same, one version is jyust wraped like a tv cable, with the outer foil wrap (too?). My Monster Video2 cables have the foil wrap, but are also usable for audio & v/v, ditto. I really don't know the details but it may be that if there is no apparent problem, then there is no problem, as I learned about shielded cables inside my pooter once, actuallly no, it was a 15' monitor extension cable, onr $7 with lines and one $22 w/o lines, cuz it had a magnet wrapped insdie the plastic sheilding on both ends. What I'm getting at is it probably possible to use one for both, especially if stereo version is ok. I read about this somewhere else today, soundblaster forums. Probably just about getting from A to B, but I think this applies only to the dig coax, no other input connection. This would be good to know.

Last edited:
dude. He said he wanted OPTICAL out. In order to get that from the proprietary jack (its called a flexijack, it passes a both a digital and analog signal, the digital signal is 7.1 audio) he needs the adapter from creative. If he uses that to run the OPTICAL out to his reciever, the reciever will decode the audio and send it to his 7.1 (or 5.1, or whatever setup) he has. No additional software or adapters needed.
*I'm talking about the original poster by the way*
*edited for clarification and courtesy.

Last edited:
you dont even need that Creative doo-hickey to do it either. Go to Rat Shack and get yourself a 1/8" mono to mono RCA adaptor, and run a coaxial digital cable from the digital I/O flexi-jack. Cost you about $3 instead of $15.

rereading this post, I realize this is definitely a good option to save a few bucks. However optical is not a possibility w/o that 15 buck adapter.

I live next to a rad shack, ill run over there 1 of theez days, considering its so cheap

Ok sweet, bought the adapter, ill post back once i find a coaxial digital cable lol

....and if my assumptions are correct, you could try any cable, audio or video in the mean time.

I also have this extremgamer card, and an input for an external decoder- the 5500s. Can't you just plug the cable into the jack directly (if going the coax route).

Which adaptor did you get Kai_Force?, the radio shack or the sb thing?

wrt the plug (M) (and jack), I think the position wrt the distance to the end gets from A to B whether its a mono or stero plug/cable setup or not. IOW the stereo version of plug and jack transfers from A to B that which is also transfered form A to B in the mono version and there no no cross contamination or lack thereof to worry about at all. I'm just waiting to learn something here, about this card.

Last edited:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/tech_overview.html

under the sixth heading Dolby Digital Live I think I stumbled on something about soundcards vs. home audio decoders that could be good &/or bad. I think in order to have an input like a tv channel audio signal give a 5(.1) surround physically to all speakers you need an audio card that does Dolby Digital Live. Home receivers afaik do not suffer from this distinction, b/t live and not-Live. Also the extremegamer is NOT a Dolby Digital Live type card - that is reserved for the high cards, like the extremegamer Professional Fata1ty 64 X-RAM. However if the source is not "Live" but is a dvd it can give a real 5(.1) physical audio to all spkrs. I downloaded the Cyberlink PowerDVD but it is ambiguous whether this gives downloaders of the Cyberlink PowerDVD downloaded version, DD and DTS. Thats the only way to get DD and DTS with the base retail extremeGAmer, but I'm not even sure if you have to upgrade to the purchased version to do that. Do you know?

Its all about the standard. Getting a real 5(.1) signal from a tv channel without it built in as a standard ausio format is the biggest problem with those of us who spend 95% of out time watching random tv channels. The fact this Dolby Digital Live is a Dolby thing may mean it is a chance they (Dolby) have done something about it. Or maybe it just puts soundcards on the same footing as standalone decoding recievers in that there is no delay for decoding a "Live" signal.

also the Dolby Digital Live could be just to force the issue generally , getting 5(.1) from any signal thta happens to be flowing around inside your pc, for thse who just need to get all watts via all speakers, and is not particularly of effectively addressing the problem I stated (the 95% of time issue). Thats an issue attempted by every mfgr., but unsuccesfully. If Dolby gets involved there is a hope they are listening to th ecomplaints (hopes) of people like me. Anyone?

By the way why are you needing to connect the two, your extremeGamer to your reciever?

Home receivers usu attempt to include a button for facbricating a surround audio physically to 5(.1) when there is just a regualr stero audio signal, for watching TV 95% of the time. My 5500 speakers only have the option of setting DPLII (Dolby Pro Logic Two), selecting DD and DTS does nothing, and there is as great a chance as not that there will be no noticable rear or "matrix" audio to speak of, it sucks, etc., cuz the (any known content/format) source has not been included. There is NO fabrication, and no real attempt to make something form nothing, as is often the case, resulting in crap a majority of the time, when setting the best surround option I have that could possibly even do it. Recievers are better, but not necc. better. DPLII (Dolby Pro Logic Two) & DPL(I) works perfectly for stereo input from vcr tapes though, so theres always a great surround 5(.1). The signal is setoff in frequency &/or amplitude from stereo vcr tape signals so its carrier can be detected and decoded tada seperate form the Front Right & Front Right signal it is piggybacked onto with the stereo (L&R only) cables.

This frequency &/or amplitude is how Dolby noise reduction works fro tape recordings. The hiss (static) is heard in the upper frequency range, introduced by the physical act of the tape passing over the heads. By cranking up the highs during recording, then cranking them down on playback, you also crank down the distortion/hiss. Or something like that.

Last edited:
I also happen to own a stanalone home dvd player with a coax and optical digital out - a $50 inheritnace, which I use (happily) for really frekin good 5(.1) DD movie audio.

Insdie my pooter I havean LG dvd GSA-H10N, a couple years old, but I am not sure if to do the digital coax output through extrmegamer like you are if I need to connect this dvd to the soundcard with anythng more than the 80-conductor ATA cable.

I am not even sure my dvd has one of those, whether its called an SPDIF or any other name/connection type. Any ideas here?

Gamefan: I purchased the radio shack adapter. (Currently un-opened in the case i get a new soundcard)
And, Holy ballz, how long did it take you to type that ^_^

Im talking to another member of the forums about getting an ESI Juli@ Sound card along with a new sound system. http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/

Alot of this stuff is very new to me, and your giant post is a bit dificult for me to understand. You said something about..."By the way why are you needing to connect the two, your extremeGamer to your reciever?" Well all i want is an intense sound system for my gaming/movies rig. I am not going to be using the z5500 speaker set, but much more amazing speakers/subs connected to the reciever.

Back