• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400 2.66 Ghz to ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realitycheck

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I'm looking for a quick help with my above query as far as OC'ing is concern...and OC'ing is something new to me.

With the stock CPU and chipset device, I enabled the "Instant O.C." feature on my Foxconn BlackOps and set it at 15%. The unit is actually running on it as I write my query...

Below are some screen shots which you can refer to:

CPUid15OC.jpg

AP15OC.jpg

OC'ing really fascinates me but I'm a bit worried that I might be pushing the unit to the limit.

Also, is the core voltage kinda low? I can't seem to tweak them in the Bios since they are all set to Auto.

Lastly, should I go with my OC'ing adventure or should I first invest with a premium cooling device?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I'm looking for a quick help with my above query as far as OC'ing is concern...and OC'ing is something new to me.

With the stock CPU and chipset device, I enabled the "Instant O.C." feature on my Foxconn BlackOps and set it at 15%. The unit is actually running on it as I write my query...

Below are some screen shots which you can refer to:

CPUid15OC.jpg

AP15OC.jpg

OC'ing really fascinates me but I'm a bit worried that I might be pushing the unit to the limit.

Also, is the core voltage kinda low? I can't seem to tweak them in the Bios since they are all set to Auto.

Lastly, should I go with my OC'ing adventure or should I first invest with a premium cooling device?

With the stock CPU and chipset cooling device (I mean), I enabled the "Instant O.C." feature on my Foxconn BlackOps and set it at 15%. The unit is actually running on it as I write my query...

With voltage set to auto on my Q9300 the MAX I could pull was about 3400MHz. I had to manually set things to go higher but it was not stable

Generally you do not go above 1.365 on a 45nm quad, but keep an eye on heat. If it is under 60C fully loaded you should have no problems.

Also remember that you may need to increase NB voltage once you get into the upper 400s on FSB.

Hi,

I cant see your screenshots because im on a FAIL library computer at the mo and the website where the pics are hosted is blocked here -.-

Anyway though, if you really want to get into overclocking dont use the instant OC feature, you gotta do it properly to get good results and learn more :p

You probably cant set the voltage in your bios simply because you have it set on that "instant overclock mode", there will prob be an option to set that to "manual" then all the voltages and options will be unlocked.

You will be able to overclock a bit with the basic heatsink, but its limited because the cooling is fairly basic, especially with a quad core. They produce a lot of heat and the basic intel cooler you get is only just enough to cool it at its default clock speed. Its best to get a decent cooler if you want good and safe results.

Try not to use more voltage than about 1.35v for that cpu, some people think up to 1.40v is ok with a good air cooler if its needed. And try not let the temperature exceed 65/70c when under full load. Use Realtemp to check temps.

Back