• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Precision Doesn't Display GX2 Fan Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shameless Bump.

Come on. I know that there are many on this forum who have a GX2 and I doubt that any are able to run Crysis without controlling GPU temperatures.

I have an ongoing issue with EVGA tech support, which doesn't seem to have a GX2 available to see if Precision or RivaTuner can display fan speed.

Worse, my GX2 doesn't show any signs of having an internal thermostat to control run-away temperatures... Yes, I know how to control temps manually.

What drivers you running? I've come across a few posts regarding fan speed control not working in some of the recent driver releases.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=276729

A quote from there:

Driver-level fan control interfaces has been changed in 180.xx series so driver-level fan control will not work in RT, Precision, ExpertTool etc. However, low-level fan controls should still work. Are you using low-level fan control in RT?

I have tried 3 different Nvidia drivers (and DriverCleanerPro): 174.88, 178.13, 178.24 - none are able to display fan speed.

BTW, fan CONTROL works OK, manual control, that is. However, it is difficult to verify what fan speed is actually being obtained, using only ones ears. Using GPU core temperature is problematic because it is only an indirect measure of fan speed. BTW, I am seeing core temps in the high 70s and low 80s in difficult sections of Crysis and Warhead, with the GX2. I am manually setting 100% fan speed in Precision but these temps seems too high for 100% fan speed.

Rivatuner has options to let you see the fan speed % and RPM. It's pretty much required to be run for fan control now that the 180.42 won't let EVGA Precision change the fan speed.

Rivatuner has options to let you see the fan speed % and RPM. It's pretty much required to be run for fan control now that the 180.42 won't let EVGA Precision change the fan speed.
I had used RivaTuner extensively on my old 8800GTX. However, it is NOT able to display either fan speed or %Max speed for my 9800 GX2 with Nvidia's production drivers.

My GX2 doesn't show RPM on Precision, however % does appear and I am able to control it freely.

My GX2 doesn't show RPM on Precision, however % does appear and I am able to control it freely.
Thank you for responding. Do you see % of Max Fan Speed as a graph in the chart section on the left of the Precision display (this would be an actual measurement of fan speed)? Or are you referring to the Fan Speed slider control on the lower right (with the numeric display of %Max Fan Speed that is controlled by the slider)?

Back