Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

new hard drive problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 02:44 AM Thread Starter   #1
Ric2L

new hard drive problems

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in a Dell XPS400 computer that was given to me, with a Western Digital 640GB (WD6400AAKS). I went to W/D website and down loaded there program to setup and transfer info from origional HDD to the new one. It took a while, but finally got all info to transfer.

However when I try to boot from the new HDD I get the following message from the Boot screen:

(Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.)

Any suggestions? I did'nt get any manuals with the comp, & have know idea where to start trying to figure this out in windows. The comp boots fine with both HDD's installed or just the origional one. Device Manager shows both HDD's working properly, in Disk Management both HDD's show healthy and active. MY computer shows the origional disk as Local Disk C,and the new one as DRV4_Vol1 F.

I would think that after copying one to the other I should be able to plug the new drive into the origional sata connector and it would boot, but this is this is not the case, and I'm lost & confused. Please help

Maximus Formula (Bios v1004), Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz (Lapped), D-Tek Fusion v2, Black Ice Stealth GT 360, MPC355 w/XSPC Res Top, Mushkin HP2-6400 4GB (2x2048) 5-5-5-12 @ 1066, HIS HD4870 1 Gig cooled by EK fullcover W/B, PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer, W/D 500G, DVD R/RW (Lightscribe), DVD ROM, SilverStone TJ09/BW, 24" Samsung 245BW, 32 Bit Vista Home Premium.
Ric2L is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-23-08, 03:02 PM   #2
tuskenraider

10 Year Badge

I'm not sure of all the prompts in WD's software, but I'd try it again and make sure the drive is selected to be bootable as a simple file copy won't do the job.

heat
tuskenraider is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-23-08, 05:34 PM Thread Starter   #3
Ric2L

yea that was the problem, I didnt make it bootable, after running it a second time i saw my mistake, now everything is good, old HDD is out of computer new one is working great so far. thanks Tuskenraider!

Maximus Formula (Bios v1004), Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz (Lapped), D-Tek Fusion v2, Black Ice Stealth GT 360, MPC355 w/XSPC Res Top, Mushkin HP2-6400 4GB (2x2048) 5-5-5-12 @ 1066, HIS HD4870 1 Gig cooled by EK fullcover W/B, PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer, W/D 500G, DVD R/RW (Lightscribe), DVD ROM, SilverStone TJ09/BW, 24" Samsung 245BW, 32 Bit Vista Home Premium.
Ric2L is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray