• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disk drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate35

I am building a new computer, and I am wondering if there is a particular disk drive (cd/dvd r/rw) that stands out as better than the rest? I want it to be quiet also. I have been trying to decide for a few days and I need help.

Black would be best because it would match my case

I wont be getting blue ray for a little bit, because feel like they will drop in price very soon.

Thanks

Sorry to double post but i need to order tonight. and I need some help with this. I just do not know which one.

please help

thanks

Most CD/DVD burners are the same (assuming same specs). I would just go for what's cheapest although the Samsung does have the best response times of the three.

I can tell you I have a 20x Samsung (came out the cheapest for me) and it's fast and quiet.

BTW, one of those LGs are 20x while the other 2 drives are 22x.

EDIT: jayfella, he's talking about CD/DVD not HDD (even though he said disk drive).

oops I did not realize that I miss titled the thread. Sorry!! :(
I was thinking that since you put disks in them they were disk drives. oops. But i did learned something. woot:beer:

So... it sounds like I should get the samsung one that I posted. Quick response time sounds good. I also hear that they are quiet and that is important to me.

will I need to buy cables?

Thank you guys for your help. that was the main factor keeping me from ordering. I will finally be able to play far cry 2 haha. (and Crysis, Bioshock, hl2 ep2, COD4, UT3 and lots of others) And I look foward to Folding@home as well as physx. Geez that is a lot of things to look foward to haha

Last edited:
Since the Samsung is OEM it will not come with a cable, so if you don't have one you'll need to get it.

oops I did not realize that I miss titled the thread. Sorry!! :(
I was thinking that since you put disks in them they were disk drives. oops. But i did learned something. woot:beer:

I don't know how long I was playing with computers before I got that term right. I still make quite a few mistakes with terminology, but we learn as we go! ;)

EDIT: FYI a CD/DVD drive is actually called an optical drive.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh :burn:

That makes sense now. I had no idea what people were talking about. haha thank you.:)

i have only got LG drives and my only problem with them is there loud when the read. other than that they worked out great. (2 in my system)

Back