• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable paging executive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

Is it safe to do this for a performance increase?

"In normal usage, XP pages sections from RAM memory to the hard drive. We can stop this happening and keep the data in RAM, resulting in improved performance."

There is always the possibilty it can cause an application to crash. (particullarly when gaming for 10+ hours ;) ) But for the most part I disable it on my machines.

if you disable the pagefile in any os using ntfs it will still write to the disk, the ntfs file system and most apps or games are dependant on it especially vista but if you disable it then the os will create one at the very end of your drive which is the absolute slowest part so the only thing you gain is increased read/write times thats why the have readyboost for vista, I always though disabling it would give me better perf too but when I did and then loaded up a game and check the taskmanage it was still using the same pagefile size that windows recommended and analyzing my drive with perfectdisk showed there was a pagefile at the very end

if you disable the pagefile in any os using ntfs it will still write to the disk, the ntfs file system and most apps or games are dependant on it especially vista but if you disable it then the os will create one at the very end of your drive which is the absolute slowest part so the only thing you gain is increased read/write times thats why the have readyboost for vista, I always though disabling it would give me better perf too but when I did and then loaded up a game and check the taskmanage it was still using the same pagefile size that windows recommended and analyzing my drive with perfectdisk showed there was a pagefile at the very end

No you are using taskmgr to analyze which is wrong. It is still broken in Vista and that is a common misconception. It showed a huge pagefile in XP too and that was obviously not the case. It is very easy. Try it and find out. You dont see a difference then it whats the point. You do see a differnce then do it. Everyones needs are different. Common misconceptions are certain prgorams need a pagefile... like photoshop..
not since PS6 has that been the case. Because PS makes its own pagefile. In fact it tells you if a pagefile is located on the same drive as its "scratch file" it could cause performance problems.

If you really think you need one or it will effect your Perf in some way... put it on a seperate drive. You at least get the benefit of full HDD access speed not sharing it with temps files. (although I personally in XP move all my temp/TMP and temporary internet files to a seperate HDD, havent done it with Vista yet...)

I don't believe this disables the page file per se but just leaves more items in memory instead of moving them from memory to the page file which is multitudes slower. Whether this makes a noticeable difference will vary from person to person.

Back