• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mistake? Bought P35 in a rush, return for a P45?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edesign

Registered
I posted a thread a few posts down ( http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5844552#post5844552 ) regarding the BIOS problem I have with my MSI P35 Neo2-FR board but I will reiterate here. The E8400 I received from Newegg is the E0 version and the BIOS on the mb is V1.8, apparently I require V1.9 but to flash it I need to find another socket 775 CPU to use temporarily. Problem is I don't know anyone who has another 775 chip save for one person and due to the case it is in it would be a royal pita to remove it. And the lovely "city" (120,000 people or so) I live near doesn't have a single f'ing store that sells CPU's where I could "borrow" one lol. :temper:

So now I'm wondering if I should just return the P35 to Newegg and order a P45 but I'm having a little difficulty in determing if the P45's support the newer E0 stepping. I don't see much point in returning the P35 if the BIOS still won't support the chip. I have zero intentions of running any type of SLI configuration and should be plenty happy with my 4850 considering I am upgrading from a X1950PRO. I have 2 X 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066MHz RAM that I am also debating on returning as I saw the Dominator series on sale for the same price I paid for these or maybe something better for the same price if anyone has any suggestions.

So yeah...would I still be in the same boat with the BIOS issue if I got a P45 board?

33 views and no replies? :( I know I'm not a regular poster here but throw me a bone please :)

I'd return it for a Asus P5Q Pro which will work out of the box as should any P45 based motherboard.

awesome :) Thanks trap...so the P45's and associated BIOS's were designed with the E0 stepping in mind? Like I said I couldn't really find anything specifically stating this and I really do try to do my homework...just having a slight problem locating specific information this time. I looked at the ASUS before ordering but I just don't care for them for some reason...I've always used ABIT boards and loved 'em, never had a hint of a problem.

Now I'm having issues with my 4850 which I installed in the system (wiped all previous ATI CCC and drivers and then installed them fresh) in my sig...definitely better than the X1950PRO but in Crysis it went to a black screen a few times in the demo. I bought the full version and it ran for about 90 minutes before going black...and it only does it when I die and am waiting to respawn. It also did it in Oblivion IV after only a couple minutes of play. So that's another issue I'm dealing with and apparently am not the only one. I don't think temp is the issue as with a bunch of instances of Furmark running it would barely touch 70C after an hour of running. *shrugs* But that's a story for the GPU forum...

Perhaps an aftermarket cooler would be an option. The AC accelero S1 Rev 2 keeps my card under 50c while gaming even in the summer

I agree, 70C is pretty high but from what I've read regarding the 4850's the spec cooler used on most of the cards has temps hitting close to 90C! *ouch* The MSI card I have has an alternate cooler on it that looks identical to a Zalman cooler... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037

I haven't compared fan speeds and such though which is why I say it looks identical. I need to do some more testing with it to see if I can determine if it's a temp issue or something else...I may end up saying screw it and order a GTX260 as I've usually used nVIDIA but my last build I wanted to try something new. Right now I am checking to see if it would be better to switch to an nForce 700 series NB or stick with the P45's if I go the nVIDIA GPU route...

btw, I wish our summers were as cool as yours ;) Summer temps here get in to the low 100's sometimes (90's normal) plus the heat index from the humidity :p

I'm in a apartment that sometimes hits 98f in the summer so not much different. If you want an sli motherboard I'd pick the EVGA 780i FTW

Back