• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does upgrading drivers increase gaming performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

I am upgrading the drivers on an 8800gt to the latest drivers. Will upgrading these drivers improve performance?

Upgrading drivers should theoretically improve the performance of your card. However, this is not always true. Just like any piece of software, the updates are intended to address discovered bugs and compatability problems. If your planning on using new software/games that will depend heavily on your graphics card, then I would look into updating the drivers. The good thing is, the drivers usually get reviewed either here or any other numerous forums for you within a couple of days of release. You can take those comments into account when you decide whether to upgrade, wait for the next release, or rollback your driver to an earlier version if necessary.

I am looking for other games to play as well. I am a First person shooter type of gamer.

Hmm well yes the newer the drivers generally the better the compatibility with games. Alot of games are also nvidia optimized, so that is also a boon.

I would say if you are into FPS, I always enjoyed FEAR, HL2, Crysis, and Bioshock. Bioshock isn't your typical run of the mill FPS, it has some pretty unique elements that I found personally refreshing.

All of these games will run at very high settings (except Crysis) on your system with very playable framerates. With HL2 and FEAR I am sure you can crank up the aa/af and your 8800gt will still crush them.

are the drivers you are using the original ones? If it is before the physix update, they should definitely help. Best way to find out, run a few benchmarks now, and after driver update. Make sure you thoroughly clean the old ones. Then run the same benchmarks and compare. It should go up a few hundred points.

Hmm well yes the newer the drivers generally the better the compatibility with games. Alot of games are also nvidia optimized, so that is also a boon.

I would say if you are into FPS, I always enjoyed FEAR, HL2, Crysis, and Bioshock. Bioshock isn't your typical run of the mill FPS, it has some pretty unique elements that I found personally refreshing.

All of these games will run at very high settings (except Crysis) on your system with very playable framerates. With HL2 and FEAR I am sure you can crank up the aa/af and your 8800gt will still crush them.

Yeah fear multiplayer is free nbow i should download it again. oh and when i say first pertson shooters i do mean online multiplayer ones. Playing fps alone is so 1998.

I enabled speedstep to see what the 3d mark 06 score would be at 6/9x(about 2136mhz) my oc speed which came to 10868 3DMarks. after enabling my overclock (3204mhz) my score is 13733 3DMarks. does that sound about right? cpus factor into gaming by that much?

I am upgrading the drivers on an 8800gt to the latest drivers. Will upgrading these drivers improve performance?

Not always, sucks because every time you upgrade you have to benchmark on the games you play.

In theory it should always get better or be on par, but the incompetence of the driver developers doesnt make that happen often.

www.tweakforce.com

Get their latest nvidia drivers every time.

Be aware though, that you will have to download the physx drivers separately. Just google latest physx drivers and profit.

Team Fortress 2 FTW!!

drivers can some times lower performance in some games, but it is rare.

Yeah, generally speaking though, the newest released WHQLs are going to be faster than whatever drivers came on the disc :)

Back