• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4870: Vertical Refresh Always on STILL TEARING LIKE A MOFO!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

southpark2033

Registered
I would love my new PC if not for COD 4 and STALKER and all other games having vertical scan-lines every time I move around. It tears like a MOFO, and it ruins the game for me. I'm starting to beleive that there is no such thing as a PC that can play a game "perfectly". THis is my 5th PC, and most expensive yet, on my quest to smooth, perfect gaming. Still a no go, $1500 later...

^^^ you sure..

what LCD do you have, what is the response time?

are you using Vsync on in game or in the drivers, or both?

i got a 4850 and use vysnc off on my dell ultrasharp 20' cause with it on it causes such low FPS drops!

ATI drivers are as good as NVIDIA's and have been for a good 2 years now, and at least ATI sticks to a monthly release schedule, all you get from NVIDIA is beta driver after beta driver after beta driver.

ATI's drivers are miles better than Nvidia's, from my experience. I've been using ATI cards for about 10 years and recently switched to Nvidia... tons of problems with the driver crashing which I never had with ATI before. Yet to see NV release a driver that is stable in most games.

Post us your monitor info, and are you sure the lines are vertical, like ||| and not horizontal like - - - ? Assuming you meant to say horizontal but got them mixed up?

Weird, I must be alone then. Have had nothing but problems with AA working with my 4870 with a lot of different versions of the drivers but no problems when I throw my 8800GT in.

Now, let's not start a ATI vs nvidia driver debate ;).

Also, even with vsync enabled, I still get tearing in doom3. Any idea why?

I don't use vsync ... ever. I play CoD4 with my 2 4870s fine, a few slow downs here and there, but drivers wont be awesome for awhile still. Turn off vsync in the game and make sure its off in CCC as well, vysnc never makes it better IMO.

I don't use vsync ... ever. I play CoD4 with my 2 4870s fine, a few slow downs here and there, but drivers wont be awesome for awhile still. Turn off vsync in the game and make sure its off in CCC as well, vysnc never makes it better IMO.

some LCD will tear with it on when you hit high FPS that is the point of vsync is to stop tearing, not create it, i am thinking it could be their LCD, has a bad response time.

I have experienced such problems as well with some games (Gothic 3 for example) and have found no way to get it working right so far.

It is very probable a driver issue as it only occurs with certain games.

^^^ you sure..

what LCD do you have, what is the response time?

are you using Vsync on in game or in the drivers, or both?

i got a 4850 and use vysnc off on my dell ultrasharp 20' cause with it on it causes such low FPS drops!

ATI drivers are as good as NVIDIA's and have been for a good 2 years now, and at least ATI sticks to a monthly release schedule, all you get from NVIDIA is beta driver after beta driver after beta driver.

I heard about the Vsync issue from a friend... it kind of concerns me since i'm about to get a new 4870x2.
That said.. why would you even consider playing with vsync off?
who cares if the FPS are less, the game looks proper that way.
It looks worse with vsync off regardless of the framerate.

I'll never undesrtand the people that turn it off to get more FPS.
it completley defeats the purpose of higher FPS if the frames are overlapping.

Yeah I meant horizontal. Yes it sucks. It might be my LCD, as it is old. I'm getting a new one Tues. Will post back!

Back