• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post SP3 updates for XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

We've got a computer at my work that doesn't seem to be able to run Microsoft Update anymore. I've tried several things to fix it, but this computer has always had problem. Even doing a repair install only helped somewhat. Eventually, we'll probably just format and reinstall from the recovery disks.

However, in the meantime, does anybody have a list of the updates for XP post SP3? That way I can at lead download them manually and install them.

not sure, i would say look for any updates dated after SP3..

what is the problem with using windows updates? just gives errors?

It says it needs to register the files necessary to run MU, then does something, then starts the dectection process again, and says it needs to register the files necessary to run MU. Rinse, repeat.

try with IE8Beta? maybe ie 7 is fubared

ran spyware checkers and stuff?

you can run the windows sfv, or is it sfc, to check all windows system files..

try with IE8Beta? maybe ie 7 is fubared

ran spyware checkers and stuff?

you can run the windows sfv, or is it sfc, to check all windows system files..

I'll check out the beta, worth a shot.

We've got Nod32 on our network, and it is supposed to handle spyware checking, but I've run Spybot on it before and not found anything when it was having other problems.

And my understanding of the way sfc (System File Checker) works, I'd need a SP3 install disk now to make it work right. We don't have one. (All our disk are SP2.)

you have download the network installer for SP3 for network admins.
That is the best way to install a SP for a LAN.
Download only 1 copy, install on the entire network

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Um, that was how SP3 was installed on this computer about a month and a half ago. I've had that install file on our network since about 1 month after SP3 came out. And SP3 is already on this computer, so I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. :shrug:

I've got a few scripts that I came up with to repair some broken WSUS clients, but this one should work just the same if using Windows Update.

Copy and paste the following into notepad and save as a .bat/.cmd.

Code:
net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll

regsvr32 /s wups.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll

cd %windir%

rename SoftwareDistribution SDOLD

net start wuauserv

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

I typically used this for clients that stopped reporting to my WSUS server, but it sounds like yours may have similar issues, if not similar symptoms. Can't hurt if it doesn't work for you, regardless :)

I've got a few scripts that I came up with to repair some broken WSUS clients, but this one should work just the same if using Windows Update.

Code:
net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll

regsvr32 /s wups.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll

cd %windir%

rename SoftwareDistribution SDOLD

net start wuauserv

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
I typically used this for clients that stopped reporting to my WSUS server, but it sounds like yours may have similar issues, if not similar symptoms. Can't hurt if it doesn't work for you, regardless :)

This is the standard fix and starting point for problems with windows update. It has worked for me about 80% of the time.

+1 for the posted fix its worked for me on my clients machines numerous times

Code:
(snip)

Well, I tried it and it didn't work. :( Also tried updating to IE8. Didn't work. Tried downloading and installing Windows Installer 4.5. Didn't work. We have a WSUS server, and it was showing up as status unknown, which is why I was trying to use the over the internet updater. I'm not sure what to try other than reformatting and starting over. :( :bang head :bang head

That might be your solution in the end anyways. I'd probably bite the bullet and just do it now instead of screwing around with it. You said its been a problem before so maybe a fresh install would solve all of it in one shot.

We've got a computer at my work that doesn't seem to be able to run Microsoft Update anymore. I've tried several things to fix it, but this computer has always had problem. Even doing a repair install only helped somewhat. Eventually, we'll probably just format and reinstall from the recovery disks.

However, in the meantime, does anybody have a list of the updates for XP post SP3? That way I can at lead download them manually and install them.

here you go Might be better to see whatever other packs are available

Problem with doing it yourself is gettign the updates in the right order. (numerical is not the proper way to install them most times.. I always had trouble with this...)

Back