Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

How Many Clean Their Keyboards?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 03:16 PM Thread Starter   #1
Yodums

How Many Clean Their Keyboards?

I use to clean my keyboard alot due to the fact I eat at my computer table and stuff and alot of stuff would fall in there and I would see alot of dirt..

Now I seem to get to a very lazy stage where I just leave it.

How many cleaned their keyboards?
As I mean clean, clean not the one where you take the air spray and spray hehe..

My method of cleaning was taking all the keys out then cleaning them as well as as under the keys...

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-13-02, 03:46 PM Thread Starter   #2
Yodums

Well i just took off all my keys and began cleaning it i will post back with pictures soon....

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Old 01-13-02, 04:06 PM   #3
RainMaQer
3D God

10 Year Badge

A couple of weeks ago I opened my keyboard up... completely And cleaned it all... My space bar was tickin me off... now it works fine

Old 01-13-02, 04:21 PM   #4
Kingslayer

Not me. I'm not taking this thing apart. It's not worth it. If it get's dirty I just go buy another new one.

$20 for a new keyboard is less than 2 hours cleaning a keyboard on the weekend because my family and fishing time is priceless.

Proud member of the XDC
Kingslayer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-13-02, 04:28 PM Thread Starter   #5
Yodums

Its only been 45 minutes and I've cleaned all my keyboard completely. The way it feels typing feels VERY SMOOTH AND IT MAKES NO NOISE!

Yodums

Old 01-13-02, 04:30 PM   #6
Jeff Bolton

10 Year Badge

how do you go about taking the keys off?

jeff
Jeff Bolton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-13-02, 04:34 PM   #7
RainMaQer
3D God

10 Year Badge

Use a screwdriver or something similar and pop them out... just get the screwdriver under the key and pop it out..

Old 01-13-02, 04:45 PM Thread Starter   #8
Yodums

Yup I used a flat top mini screw drive and put it between the guys and just flick them off and you'll see some going across the room. By the way Rain how is the water block?

Old 01-13-02, 04:53 PM   #9
Mike K

I cleaned a keyboard about 2 months ago. It was a HP that was bought retail about 2 - 3 years ago. It has a K6-2 366 and cost over $1000, but thats my dads. I build my puters. I took my keyboard apart to see how I can change the LEDs and all those little plastic things fell out!
Mike K is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-13-02, 05:37 PM   #10
DarkArctic

10 Year Badge

For a quick clean I just flip my keyboard upside down and shake like mad. Had a craving for a cigarette after.

-DarkArctic

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had."
-Linus Torvalds

My Heatware | Overclockers.com Front Page | Folding for Team 32 | You Are Here

DarkArctic is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-13-02, 06:03 PM Thread Starter   #11
Yodums

Arctic doing that to mine would have no effect as I have alot of incidents with coke and the keyboard so it was all sticky

Yodums

Old 01-13-02, 07:24 PM   #12
Ridenow
Sneaky Moderator

I work for a company that maintains computers. I collect up some of the ones that we replaced and clean them. Most work just fine after a good cleaning. I have been known to put them in the bathtub and hang them from a closeline. A friend of mine puts them in the dishwasher and then puts them in a gas oven with just the pilot light on to dry.

Warning- Only use these methods if you know what you are doing and let them dry before using them. I take no reponsiblity for any damages.

Old 01-13-02, 08:09 PM   #13
RainMaQer
3D God

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Yodums
By the way Rain how is the water block?
Been busy with the laundry all day... I'm about to start on it in about an hour or so... just wanted to get the Forums out of my system before I do

Old 01-13-02, 08:11 PM   #14
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

just throw it in the washing machine. i'm with kingslayer on this one. just buy a new one for $15.

Old 01-14-02, 05:52 AM   #15
Shadow
Mod in Hiding

10 Year Badge

I take the electrical stuff out of mine, then stick the housing in the dish washer about once every 6 months. I too eat at my desk as well as smoke, so the gunk builds up. =)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Shadow  is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 06:37 AM   #16
KeyboardCowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebola
just throw it in the washing machine. i'm with kingslayer on this one. just buy a new one for $15.
yep, i have enough on my hands cleaning out 6 pc's, i just buy a new keyboard
KeyboardCowboy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 06:39 AM   #17
Shadow
Mod in Hiding

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyboardCowboy

yep, i have enough on my hands cleaning out 6 pc's, i just buy a new keyboard
ever considered a KVM? LOL

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Shadow  is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 09:13 AM   #18
JigPu
Inactive Pokmon Moderator

10 Year Badge

This keyboard gets cleaned out every few months when either some key stops working, or when we get tired of all the dirt built up. It isn't that hard to clean out, just take off all the keys, and then use your handy canned air to blow out all the loose dust and if anything looks REALLY bad, then clean it. Stick the keys back on, and presto! A new keyboard!

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 09:44 AM   #19
KILLorBE

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridenow
I have been known to put them in the bathtub and hang them from a closeline.
I thought I was the only one, ah well I clean everything with water and soap if necessary .

**EDIT** I used to buy a new keyboard once a month......I smashed them when I was angry.....my landlord ****ed me of.

DFI nF3 Ultra-D - 3000+ Venice @ 300x9 - 2x512MB OCZ Value - Asus 6800 @ 16x1,6 - 80GB Hitachi 7K80 - PVR 150MCE - Tagan TG480-U22 2Force
Abit ST6 - Tualeron 1.2 @ 1.6 or 1.0A @ 1693 (168FSB) - 2x 256MB MDT PC150 - Sparkle 235W - 80GB Maxtor - V8420S @ 335/705+ - 2K1 = 11485 - 2K3 = 1610
Asus P5A - K6-III 400 - 128MB Mushkin PC150 Rev.3+ - Asus V3800 Ultra Deluxe or Asus V7100 - 2x 12MB Voodoo II - 40GB Hitachi - Q-Tec 550W :rolleyes:

Life is nothing but a form of animated death - The Undertaker
KILLorBE is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.