• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 M3 Build - the Windows 7 UI is looking good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know about that task bar. It looks pretty chunky. I never liked the double wide task bar, and always kept mine slim. I'll withhold judgment until it's in my hand, and I'm using it personally.

A taskbar with just icons looks more sleek, but is less functional.
I like putting my task bar on the right side, and maximizing the vertical space on my widescreen monitor.

This line from the DailyTech article on W7 was promising: "As to those hoping for a lighter build, it looks like your dreams may come true. Windows 7 Chief Steve Sinofsky held up his "personal" laptop during the demo. It was running Windows 7 flawlessly on a 1 GHz processor netbook (probably using a VIA processor) with only 1 GB of RAM. It was running very smoothly, with over half the RAM free to use."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13309

Hopefully it'll stay that way by launch,

Looks like KDE, except without all the features of KDE. (multiple desktops, jumbo clock, simple ways to turn off all the stupid tray icons)

This line from the DailyTech article on W7 was promising: "As to those hoping for a lighter build, it looks like your dreams may come true. Windows 7 Chief Steve Sinofsky held up his "personal" laptop during the demo. It was running Windows 7 flawlessly on a 1 GHz processor netbook (probably using a VIA processor) with only 1 GB of RAM. It was running very smoothly, with over half the RAM free to use."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13309

Hopefully it'll stay that way by launch,

If that's true and they've removed some of the stupid bloat and unnecessary resource requirements from Vista, I'll actually purchase this OS.

I read somewhere that you can adjust the height of the new task bar in Windows 7. If my recollection is correct, it can be set to approximate the size of the task bar in Vista. The icons will be smaller, but for some that may not be a big deal.

I would like to see Microsoft provide a user configurable option to do away with the system tray altogether. I tend to hide icons in the system tray and rely on balloon tips for update prompts, security alerts and notification messages.

I prefer a clean desktop. In reality, there is no need for the task bar unless you have multiple windows open or just want a clock. Like others have said, I hope that the task bar auto-hide option is left intact in Windows 7.

okay so they just took the curved edge off the task bar otherwise it is the same as vista....

i do think windows 7 will look alot like vista, more under the hood work like vista was to XP.

the first beta looked identical to vista and the keynotes on the new features were pretty dam dull and non exciting.

Back