• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral Oil Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well... I've tried this and well, not exactly the most fun thing to do. Its messy and I mean messy. For the effort, I don't think its worth it. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice, but not for me. I personally don't find it practical. Maybe you will.

If you have nothing to do and just want to try something unique then by all means try it, however it is not the most efficient cooling method and if you dont do it right, you will make a mess.

Last edited:
It can be decent at cooling if the setup is proper, but trying getting rid of the heat is really hard. Easier to do a water cooling setup and might be cheaper, and definatly less messy.. You gotta do a search for the company hardcore, think thats who it was, that was putting out a PC like this.

Definitely not practical, but it looks freakin' awesome! I change out hw too often to do this, but it could be fun. Make sure to post up some pics!

Edit: What would happen if you cooled the oil? Would you have any risk of condensation?

Definitely not practical, but it looks freakin' awesome! I change out hw too often to do this, but it could be fun. Make sure to post up some pics!

Edit: What would happen if you cooled the oil? Would you have any risk of condensation?

Doubt it since if the oil is sealed and should be heavier than water it would float to the top if it did. You could use a radiator on it and some heafty pump to move the oil.

According to the article water should sink to the bottom of the oil...I really have no idea, though.

I would think the condensation would appear on the outside of the aquarium, but I wonder if it also might appear near the top. That could cause issues near all those ports.

Linky

I've thought about doing this, but it always seems to impractical. sure it looks cool, but that doesn't sell it for me.

They offer a cooling option, however its insane expensive..

http://www.pugetsystems.com/aquarium_cooling_module.php

Yeah, I saw that. I meant something that would reduce temps below ambient.

:santa:

Also mineral oil eats away at capacitors.

According to their FAQ:

2. Won't the mineral oil eat away at the rubber, making capacitors blow or components fall apart?

Answer: We've seen many variations on this question. Some people say the motherboard will fall apart, others that the acrylic tank will dissolve away to nothing! In reality, we have seen absolutely zero effect. All components are perfectly intact, and the system remains rock solid. The only impact we have seen is on adhesives -- the label stickers on the memory came off, and the adhesive backing on the weather stripping became useless. However, it seems somewhat selective. The label stickers on the video card and motherboard are just fine. But to answer the cries of doom and gloom -- we've seen no indications yet. All the rubber seals are intact, and the capacitors are completely unaffected. It seems as if we'll be able to run this system for quite some time, if not indefinitely.

They say they ran their system for over a yr w/o issue. I'm not saying you're wrong...I'd just like some evidence. :)

i wonder what would happen if you ran that comp 24/7 on F@H
100C on all the components, i wonder which would fail first :D

The version 2 aquarium computer looks great. I'm not a fan of the rocks or the looks of the radiator really, but the reported 50c load temps on their quad at 4 GHz sure sounds nice. Almost unbelievable actually, I've got to go see this thing for myself.

Last edited:
Just as a principle of physics, cold doesn't move to other objects, heat does. But you can move heat to somewhere that doesn't matter.

we should probably get this moved to the cooling sections as its more on that topic than is on socket 775cpus. very interesting though. i can only imagine the mess though. oil is such a pain the arse to clean.

Back