• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I doing it wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

This is my first time using seti, but it seems like it is taking way to long for my computer to do 1 wu. It took almost 21 hours to do one, and you can see my computer in the sig. But friends have told me that there PIII 800s are doing 1 wu in 11 hours or so. Whats the deal. Im runing version 3.03 with the always on option.

Dump the gui version and get the command line client. There's a difference of up to several hours regardless of how you configure the gui. Also keep in mind that using your computer for even simple tasks will increase completion times.

If you are running the gui version it takes a lot longer to process a wu.

Try the command line client (clc) and it should speed up a lot.

I have a couple of old rigs (400/450 mhz) that are right around 18.5 hours, so you should definitely be able to do better!

Get more info HERE

*** thats what I get for being long winded: TC beat me to it! <LOL>***

hmmm... just switched to the clc version and have noticed that my system is reeeally laggy compared to the gui version. Should i just put the priority to low rather than normal?

yup. if you DO use your computer.

i set all my rigs in "low" 'cos most of them are using everyday. and i did notice the lagging when i just set it to "only" normal. tried "high". man, makes me wait for anything forever!!!

Xprincox said:
hmmm... just switched to the clc version and have noticed that my system is reeeally laggy compared to the gui version. Should i just put the priority to low rather than normal?

Setting to anything other than low does not gain you anything. Low is the best setting else everything to slooooooooooooooow, setting it to high dows not really gain you any speed either.

Use task manager to set the priority to "real time" :p I actually tried that once and the system promptly froze - only time NTx has frozen on me:eek:

TC said:
Dump the gui version and get the command line client.

By command line you mean: setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline?

When I execute I get:

------------------------- clip -------------------------------
options:
-version show version info
-login log in
-countries show list of country codes
-proxy hostname:port connect to SH server through specified
proxy server
-stop_after_process stop after current WU - do NOT send result
-stop_after_xfer stop after current WU - DO send result
-verbose print running status
-nolock skip multiple-instance check
-socks_server hostname:port SOCKS proxy
-socks_user name SOCKS user name
-socks_passwd passwd SOCKS password
-cpu N set client to run on CPU N
------------------------- clip -------------------------------

Can you point me to some instructions and examples on how to use this to replace the GUI driver?

Thanks

Harvey

Thank you Basher. I done that and it was helpful getting me started.
When I'm running it's with:

SETI Driver
SETI Spy

and when transmitting/receiving

setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline kicks in.

I thought references to a non-GUI environment would mean eliminating SETI Driver and SETI Spy, which are GUI to me. and doing everything using

setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline

which I can't find instructions on how to do anywhere.

hallen...you are running command line with driver and spy...the GUI they are talking about is the screensaver mode which tends to increase times 33-50% over command line

driver and spy do not slow down the client

Back