• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best HD DVD/BluRay Playback Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I don't want to spend an arm/leg for some decent HD DVD/BluRay playback software. Cyberlink 8 and Windvd 9 are both out of my price range. Cyberlink 8 doesn't even offer HD DVD playback!

I have PowerDVD 7.x and have the latest update, but even so I was unable to navigate the menus for the BluRay of 3:10 to Yuma. PowerDVD 7 is getting a tad old and I don't think there's been any updates in a while...

Any ideas/suggestions?

vista support BR drives, it just cant play it with out 3rd party software.

what they are doing in vista Sp2 is adding NATIVE blu-ray burning support, like burning a BR disk via window explorer, like you can do now to make cd's.

I think I interpretted Firestrider's post to mean that there's currently no BR support at all, but with SP2 it will. When I hear not supported I conclude "doesn't work (at all)", but I see where the confusion happened.

Still haven't found another solution, but the couple BR discs I've played since 3:10 to Yuma have been fine. I don't think we had a playback issue from the actual disc since it happened with 2 BRs of the same movie from netflix.

I found a deal on buy.com for Windvd 9 Plus BluRay for $56 shipped [normally $90-100]. This supports HD DVD and Bluray titles, as well as just about everything else under the sun. After some testing I'll be sure to report back on how it does compared to Nero 7.5/7.6/whatever-the-hell old version I have... :p

I found a deal on buy.com for Windvd 9 Plus BluRay for $56 shipped [normally $90-100]. This supports HD DVD and Bluray titles, as well as just about everything else under the sun. After some testing I'll be sure to report back on how it does compared to Nero 7.5/7.6/whatever-the-hell old version I have... :p

some people have said WinDVD is flakey for playing BR disks...

the other solution is PowerDVD.

the other solution is PowerDVD.

... which has no HD DVD support in the newest version (8), which is the one I would have needed. (as I posted prior, I have the last 7.x version and encounter occassional BR playback issues, which has included freezing during playback a few times).

Hopefully WinDVD works fine for me. :santa2:

ahh did not see that! sucks they would drop the support.. since some people still own HD..

Makes no sense to me unless Toshiba is still charging a licensing fee for the decoding of HD DVD through software (codec). Or perhaps Sony paid Cyberlink to drop support, like they paid off so many others in their triumphant run to the top of the HD market... :rolleyes:

Already got it. :shrug:

Have you had bad experiences with version 9? Any tips/tricks? I still haven't tried it, might tonight...
somehow it works now, I think upgrading to quad core from an old Opteron helped a lot.

It's definitely better at BD than Cyberlink's trash is at DVD. It's not really the worst thing in the world I just had tons and tons of skipping issues. Now, it doesn't matter but I still like Cyberlink better. I might not even have a reason for this anymore. :)

Let me know how you like it.

Back