• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 @ 3.8 with newbie is this real?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldx3

Hi this is my first post here or any other forum so please feel free to let me know if I have done anything wrong .
here goes i have recently gotten into overclocking and I think I understand
how it all works I have a

q6600 go stepping @ 3.8 core volts 1.448
xfx 680i lt motherboard (I no not supposed to be great with quads)
Corsair 2GB XMS2-5400C4 @ 850 mhz

I think this is good but am i unshure if I am doing it right and am I about to blow up my pc.

ps just scored 8952 on 3dmark06 with 7900gto also happy with that score

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thats is fairly high for a q6600..

Few questions:

1. What type of cooling are you using?
2. What are your idle/load temps?
3. How have you tested stability?

Hi I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with temps around
38/42/38/37 now about to try and get it stable i have only managed to run prime 95 for a few minutes befor bsod maybe more volts needed.

Hi I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with temps around
38/42/38/37 now about to try and get it stable i have only managed to run prime 95 for a few minutes befor bsod maybe more volts needed.

I would be careful about the voltage, you are already getting high. My advice would be to get it stable at 3.6 then work from there, its possible you are over your chips potential.

Your not at 3.8 yet :)

q6600's can take a decent amount of voltage...I'd say no more than 1.45v for a 45nm...but this is 65nm.

high..

thats a high overclock..its hard to get a quad that high stable without proper cooling...plus u have to ask urself..will u be using this for daily use..folding..et..cuz a quad @ 3.8 daily without proper mods will live a short life...my quad is @ 3.31 stable and it runs like it came from the factory like that..no need for me to go higher

Thats true, but with air going over 1.5v isnt a good idea.

My edited original post included that :p

3.4 ~ 3.6 is a pretty good spot for a q6600 on air. I've had 3 ranging from 3.0 to 3.6, all 3 still running good today.

Hi guys thanks for the reply's I have just been trying to get stable at 3.8 but I am raising the vcore a bit too much to get there so I think I will do as you say and just leave it at 3.6 .
I was just excited that I got into windows and done super pi 14.019
also what do you think about my memory running at those speeds thanks again.

My edited original post included that :p

3.4 ~ 3.6 is a pretty good spot for a q6600 on air. I've had 3 ranging from 3.0 to 3.6, all 3 still running good today.

I know it did because i have your original version via email :)

i cant believe your cooler is keeping it that cool,!!!! you have air conditioning in your room. ASF7 are okay, but once you add volt's they tend to suck.

Hi guys thanks for the reply's I have just been trying to get stable at 3.8 but I am raising the vcore a bit too much to get there so I think I will do as you say and just leave it at 3.6 .
I was just excited that I got into windows and done super pi 14.019
also what do you think about my memory running at those speeds thanks again.

Is 3.6 stable yet? Make sure you get it stable...stable stable stable...can't stress stability enough. Any CPU can clock and run but a stable rig is a happy/fast rig :)

Na no air con just a antec 900 case
I just recently put an extra 120mm fan pointing at the cpu cooler
its resting at an angle on the side fan of the case.
but glad you said that as thats the only 2nd time i have installed a cpu

sorry only just seen your reply yes running at 3.6 at the mo but a quik question how long should i run prime 95 small fft's for thanks for your help.

Blend for 12 hours is about ideal, any more than that and it becomes piece of mind imo, some like more, some are ok with less.

Back