• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experience with Thermaltake ProWater 850i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats an itty bitty radiator.

My advice would be to add a 2x120mm radiator from petras if you want some decent performance.

Those kits wont come close to the performance of a mid range w/c setup.

hi
i'm sorry to tell you but from my experience with tt it's pretty much garbage
on the other hand i haven't ever tried this here one
another thing is that the rad is aluminum and thereby it's first of all a mix of metals since the block is copper
i think whoever in here will agree that mixed metals is a big no no exept for copper and brass
second ( and plz correct me if i'm wrong ) aluminum isn't transferring heat as well as copper
if you are going to use that set you can help a little on the corroding by adding some of the red antifreese

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I throw on an upgraded radiator, I should be ok for the most part? I read that heater cores from a various older cars work awesome.

I read through that review and they said it did extremely well

"Thermaltake's ProWater 850i is a great improvement upon their previous the BigWater units. We heard about users having issues with older prebuilt units and we wanted to make sure this ProWater unit would not put any hardware at risk. We did not have a single leak during the installation and testing process; NOT ONE DROP! We were pleased with the overall ease of the installation, and the performance of the unit. This prebuilt unit chilled our CPU extremely well. "

Thermal Performance
19/20* There is not much out there that will do a better job cooling.

Overclocking
19/20* Again, this unit chilled the CPU like a champ, even during the OC

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I throw on an upgraded radiator, I should be ok for the most part? I read that heater cores from a various older cars work awesome.

Well yes and no...

If you add a bigger, more efficient radiator you will still be limited by the flow rate of that tubing, the weaker pump, and the waterblock on the cpu.

If you are thinking about modifying that setup:

I would do like many have before and get a decent kit instead of trying to fix that one.

Will be much better off in the long run.

Or you could switch back to air cooling and get a very decent cooler for like $50.

I have Big Water and I second the need for another radiator! Also some springs for the cpu block(next time at the hardware store!) mounting is not always perfect...

I would go with a swiftech kit, but my big water was free so I'm running it!

Well, work is helping me get the whole rig, ( they buy, i pay them weekly) so I can only get what pcconnection.com has on hand. This was the only kit they had. So I am really limited. I dont have the cash to throw down up front for a better kit. : \

as everyone else has said TT is junk. if you can return it. the pump will most likely die within a couple of months.

not only is the TT rad small, but it uses Round tubes which cannot transfer as much heat and adds alot of restriction since there are several 180 degree bends.

as i said if you can return it and save up for a swiftech kit, build your own or go highend air.

as everyone else has said TT is junk. if you can return it. the pump will most likely die within a couple of months.

not only is the TT rad small, but it uses Round tubes which cannot transfer as much heat and adds alot of restriction since there are several 180 degree bends.

as i said if you can return it and save up for a swiftech kit, build your own or go highend air.

+1

As far as air... My 1283HDT cooled better and quieter than my Big Water Kit. But after modding it its been fine! As far as people telling you about the pump I'm going past 2 months and still wondering why its working.

I wouldn't buy this kit over an air cooled option unless you want water that bad.

It's not hard to see that most WCing sites sell LOTS of 220 and bigger rads for a reason. The small 120mm rads aren't sufficient to dissappate the heat of highly OC'd CPUs. 3.6ghz on a E6850 isn't bad but can easily be acheived with highend aircooling. The ones they listed in their review were FAR from highend aircooling and it only beat the best aircooler in the review by 1.2C. A $140 Swiftech 220 compact would smash that and let you OC much higher while maintaining lower temps.

Axis

As far as air... My 1283HDT cooled better and quieter than my Big Water Kit. But after modding it its been fine! As far as people telling you about the pump I'm going past 2 months and still wondering why its working.

I wouldn't buy this kit over an air cooled option unless you want water that bad.

I will need it, because I just got an E8500 and am hoping to OC to 4.X+++GHz

I am sending back the kit and going to build a custom one down the road near tax time. I will just stick with stock till then.

as far as i know from experience with earlyer tt set that's a good choise
i think you'll be way more happy with a diy than you ever would be able to be with a tt set
until you know what budgett you'll have to work with ceep on reading and suck up every drop of experience and knowledge these guys around here have to offer
and it's loads of knowledge around here
and last good luck ;-))

I will need it, because I just got an E8500 and am hoping to OC to 4.X+++GHz

I am sending back the kit and going to build a custom one down the road near tax time. I will just stick with stock till then.

Good choice. I was also talked out of a cheaper w/c kit (asetek LCLC).

I know for an absolute FACT I would have regretted that kit.

Save up for decent parts and you'll be extremely happy.

Back