• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey its a new build thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I'm looking to build a computer for a friend that mainly needs to last a long time, be reliable, quiet, and do average everyday things.

The budget is $900 and he will mostly be using it for windows media player (so ripping/burning/music/movies), 3D CAD, and MS office.

Here is the list I have now. Since you guys like critiquing builds check over this :)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=5349609

Looks killer to me but don't forget the heat sink fan for your processor. The stock Intel HSF is a rag.

I don't think I'll be overclocking since it will be for a friend, what do you think?

Also disregarding gaming what will a graphics card help in? Would it help in decoding video streams faster?

I think I might step it up to a Quad core and use maybe a 9300 integrated graphics since he doesn't really game much.

For the budget you have to work with, including a monitor, you can't do much better. Aien is right, if at all possible replace the Intel HS. They are particularly weak with the 45nm chips, but just as important they are very loud. Here is an open box freezer 7 pro of $13. Link. It isn't going to last long at that price though.

I am no pro but I have been doing a great deal of research on cases particularly Antec 900 vs. Coolermaster 690. I have spend hours comparing measurements, reading reviews and testimonials, looking at pictures of them set up, noise, cooling, organization, etc. I am partial to the CM690 especially if it can be found for 39.99 after rebate which does happen from time to time. Just my opinion of course but it may be worthy of consideration allowing some funds to be allocated to other parts. While I may sounds crazy (I am), through my readings I would stumble upon several owners of Antec 900 who stated the CM690 was the better case while I was hard pressed to find "as many" (I know this is purely relative) using a CM690 that wished they had an Antec 900 or felt the antec 900 was the better case. I did not allow the 3200+ great reviews on newegg of the antec 900 to cloud my vision. "Antec 900 vs. CM690" web search will reveal a lot of good info. I plan on getting a cm690 myself, just my 2 cents. The antec 900 and cm690 seem to both great cases and much good can be said about each.

Back