• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD Music converter/ripper software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venorize

Registered
A long time ago I burned a personal music collection to a CD, and recently I had some computer issues and I lost my collection on my computer, but I still have the CD... I'd like to be able to listen to it without having the CD in my drive.

Do you guys know of a reliable program that converts the .cda files to .mp3s or another playable format (something that Winamp could play, is all I need).

I tried googling and the first 3 I found turned out to have some type of spyware or adware with them, and I'd rather not play trial-and-error games with my computer here.

Appreciate the help.

~ Venorize:screwy:

Last edited:
I use Foobar, it is a very nice program, ripping features built in. If you have the space, rip them as FLAC for the best quality.

You also have one installed already, Windows comes with Windows Media Player. You can rip as WMA (I think Winamp plays that), mp3 and WAV. So no downloading there, it will even fill out the album/track information for you. Be sure to configure it first as it will default to WMA.

You're looking for CDEX or EAC for ripping, or dbpoweramp (not free) for audio conversion.

Also you could use Windows Media Player, WinAmp, Foobar, or itunes, but the above programs are designed primarily for ripping and conversion rather than ripping+playback. IMO CDex is easiest to use if you just want to rip cd's to .mp3 at a given bitrate while EAC is a bit harder to use but it's technically more accurate in reading. Both of these programs can tap into CDDB for Artist/Title/Track information when ripping.

Back