• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

Im still undecided on the setup i want to have. I was going to buy an ASUS Maximus II Formula to go with the Pentium XE 965 i ve got at home however im now debating what to buy.

:bang head Ive got a phenom X3 8450 as well and was wondering what motherboard to get for that instead..

Im looking at either the foxconn destroyer, ASUS crosshair II Formula,or any other good mobo. Im not sure if i will use SLI but it is a better option rather than paying a lot for a good crossfire setup.

Also the new Phenom X4 20550 is out sometime this year and im interested in buying it if its any good so i dont know which of theses boards supports this new CPU (definately AM2+ socket)

The cost of the mobo isnt really that big a deal as AMD stuff is pretty cheap.

Should i get a mobo for AMD now or wait untill after Xmas...

or should i just continue with the intel setup

Well, I have a Gigabyte 780G board w/ X2 4000+ overclocked. Sure Phenom is an upgrade option for someday, but at this point I wished I would have gone Intel instead.

Since you already have the X3 CPU, your situation is a little different. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a Phenom 20550, by the time it's out, 45nm Intel quads will be in the shadow of i7 and probabily quite cheap. Phenom will not be competitive with Intel's quads for quite some time and probabily never.

I guess what I am saying is that any old board that supports X3 can give your CPU in hand a home. It wouldn't be wise to spend more for a board that could run a Phenom 20550 in the future, there is no point in it.

Thanks

Maybe I should just buy an ASUS Maximus II Formula for now (looks awsome, seperate sound card included) , my pentium XE is a dual core which runs at 3.73 GHz per core at stock settings, it also has an unlocked multiplier.

...Then buy an Intel quad core after christmas (Q9 series) when ive got more money and upgrade my familys desktop with the phenom and motherboard ive already got..

would this be a better opion? :confused:

By the way I only bought the phenom because i had to buy parts from a store and they had a very limited range, its the best they had in the store at the time.

Yup, that's what I would do if I was in your position. I like AMD, but sadly it will be nearly impossible for them to catch up without a very major architecture change. Check the quad core comparison at xbitlabs, Phenom isn't even competitive, and no near-term revision is going to fix that.

Back