• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 meg vid card on [email protected]!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I think I fragged my Voodoo5 in the main machine (866) today trying to remove those damned stock HSFs. Pulled the MX400 from the [email protected] machine so I could get online at least, but that left a major cruncher dead in the water.

Just remembered that I had an ISA vid card laying around and decided to give it a go. Lo and behold! WindowsME actually loaded! No pretty colors or anything, but that's another 1.5 GHz of crunching power that I just avoided losing for the next two weeks. :D And after losing that machine and the [email protected] machine for 7 days last week, I can't afford any more lost time. :(

For reference, it's a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5402. I'm actually considering replacing all my crunchers' AGP cards with these. LOL Think of the money we'd save. ;)

:D

I've got a video card of the same era in one of mine, but I upgraded it to a whopping 2megs of video ram a long time ago!
I also have another isa that I don't remember what it is, but I think it has a whopping 256k of memory!

Another cheap way to build a cruncher is to use Linux and software raid: one of my boxes has a couple of small old scsi drives (total about 2.5 gig) in a software array. A lot of the old scsi stuff, including cards, can be had free or cheap- and works for a CrunchBox!

I wish I could find more old video cards though; for some reason they are harder to come by!

Way too bad about the Voodoo, btw- I still miss my 3000!

Thats sucks about the video card incident. Well at least it is running Windows and crunching.

By the way will that thing even load 3dMark2001? :p

What resolution are you at and what bit?>

Yodums said:
Thats sucks about the video card incident. Well at least it is running Windows and crunching.

By the way will that thing even load 3dMark2001? :p

What resolution are you at and what bit?>

I'm not even going to try 3DMark. :) 640x480, 16 colors. Ha!

Well at least you didn't fry an XP :eek: How do you like that little keychain piece I sent you? :)

TC said:
Well at least you didn't fry an XP :eek: How do you like that little keychain piece I sent you? :)

Very cool. :cool: You should have sold it on ebay. Might've got enough to buy a new one. :D

BTW, all, I'm having trouble with the 866 now. I posted a thread in Video & Sound Cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (It's killing SETI... not very good for WU completion. :))

If my system had an ISA slot, I'd stick in the vid card from my 386 just to see how well it works!! Unfortunatly, it dosen't so I'm stuck having to look at 16 bit color at 1024x768 :)

I did put my 386's video card into my 8088... Quite a diffrence from green screen to color display!! I also stuck it in another P1 system in my house. Windows didn't seem to like it very much... Mabey MS decided to remove all the drivers for 'aincient' cards... :D

JigPu

Godfodda...I'm doing my best to keep up with you now AND your having probs....Alright then I'm getting the cele 500 back up tonight

hope it still does 600

Godfodda said:
but that left a major cruncher dead in the water.

losing that machine and the [email protected] machine for 7 days last week, I can't afford any more lost time.

...stands in the corner, obfuscating within it's shadowy darkness, observing and grins like an insane, evil, megalomanical super villian...

:D

I bought a bundle (12) of video cards awhile back from a local shop... ISA & PCI... not an AGP card in the lot... anyway..

ISA is the best card for troubleshooting... any BIOS supports it... (and I still do P-90s & such in my repair side) & VGA cards (PCI) are awesome too... I have a bunch of Daytonas & Tridents.... (less than $5 each)... great for crunchers...

:)

Morpheus said:
I bought a bundle (12) of video cards awhile back from a local shop... ISA & PCI... not an AGP card in the lot... anyway..

ISA is the best card for troubleshooting... any BIOS supports it... (and I still do P-90s & such in my repair side) & VGA cards (PCI) are awesome too... I have a bunch of Daytonas & Tridents.... (less than $5 each)... great for crunchers...

:)
All of my crunchers are running ATI pci video cards...

I was going to run my upcoming Morgan with just any old 1 or 2 meg piece o' crap. Of course now I won't be getting a Morgan, I'll be buying a new monitor to replace the sack of junk I've got now. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

hehe...got the cele 500 up and running@600 and I'm running an ISA vid card too (unfortunately) its an old Tseng labs card 640x480x16 that I dug from the depths of my garage. I blew off the dust and fired it up. Its even taking 80Mhz FSB with no probs. That thing was chock full of Micron chips tho' so I didn't think it would be a problem

Back