Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

SET YOUR CLOCKS BACK 1 HOUR!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 11-02-08, 02:18 AM Thread Starter   #1
TommyHolly

SET YOUR CLOCKS BACK 1 HOUR!!

Just a reminder... About 15 minutes ago, it's time to turn your clocks back 1 hour. For example if it was 3am it now becomes 2am.

Extra sleep for those who still have a hangover from those awesome Halloween parties...

Not so good for people working the nightshift that have another hour of work.

Old 11-02-08, 02:34 AM   #2
Cerberus2k7
Drifto Mexicano

I'm in AZ. Don't have to change a thing.

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w
Cerberus2k7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 02:52 AM   #3
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

I never understand the point of daylight savings. Its silly
aja is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 03:02 AM   #4
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja View Post
I never understand the point of daylight savings. Its silly
Lighter mornings but darker evenings. Something to do with saving power by needing less lighting.

(oh btw we've already gone back - ours was last weekend)

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 03:51 AM Thread Starter   #5
TommyHolly

Daylight Saving Time Extended - Pros and Cons

Pros:

Energy Savings - will possibly save 100,000 barrels of oil daily. People will turn interior and exterior lights on later in the day which will save electricity. Lighting for evening sports events can be turned on one hour later.
Recreation Time - people will have more time to enjoy outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and theme parks.
Farming - many farmers work part time and will have an extra hour to work after they arrive home. Full time farmers may not benefit.

Cons:

School Children - will possibly wait in the pitch dark for the school bus. Example, in Louisville, Kentucky sunrise will occur at 8:01 on March 11, 2007, however, Louisville schools currently begin classes at 7:40 for middle and high school.
Business - the airline industry claims it will cost millions of dollars to adjust schedules.
Computers, Clocks and Gadgets - many electronic devices automatically adjust for day light saving time. Some of these devices will show incorrect times. Some computer software will have to be reprogrammed

How much money will it save you personally? About $0.86 or if your house has all energy efficent bulbs, about $0.19 Regardless, even if it doesn't save 100,000 barrels a DAY, as long as it saves just 1 barrel it still fraks over those money grubbing OPEC nations and that, above all, makes me happy.

Old 11-02-08, 03:55 AM   #6
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Setting the clock back sucks. It's making me work 13 hours instead of 12 hours tonight.

Not that I was working that hard tonight anyways.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 10:31 AM   #7
shard

It originated from bankers, and business owners wanting to cause people to shop more while the sun is up. Not many people go shopping when it is dark.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 11:07 AM   #8
EmAn

My parents "wake me up" at noon... They "woke me up" at 11 this morning... I told them wake me up in an hour, because you forgot to set your clocks back... hehehe...

SPC in the US ARMY working on AH-64D Appache Longbow Attack Helicopters
Yes I work on a $47,000,000 computer that has two jet engines attached to it A LOT of spinning parts and of course... Rockets, GUNS, and Missiles
EmAn is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 01:04 PM   #9
freakdiablo

Yeah, I forgot. I go by one clock and my computers time, the clock is one of those radio atomic clocks and I set my computer to adjust for daylight savings. I didn't realize it until I looked at my watch.

Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI
freakdiablo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 01:05 PM   #10
Jolly-Swagman

We set our clocks back for Daylight Saving time here the first weekend October to the Last weekend in March

Jolly-Swagman is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 02:26 PM   #11
Oni
Oni-ni-Kanabō
Ninja Hippo eater Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman View Post
We set our clocks back for Daylight Saving time here the first weekend October to the Last weekend in March
It used to be similar here, but it was changed last year to see if changing the clocks back at different times would be better for energy conservation, or something like that. It was kind of a big deal.

AFAIK, DST used to be used for farmers, so they would have more light by which to work by, which is why some places have it, and others don't.

On Indefinite Hiatus

Asus P6T SE
Intel i7 930 @ Stock
12GB Corsair DDR3 9-9-9-24
XFX Radeon 5830 @ Stock
Corsair 750 Watt PSU

Oni is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-08, 10:57 PM   #12
Roofles

I spent my extra hour at the bar last night.

Also, it seems I find out about these things the day of. I was unaware I had to change my clock until my friends informed me of it.

Tuniq Tower 120 : Antec P182
Running: Windows 7 RC and Fedora 10 (PREEMPT_RT)

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics
Roofles is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 12:46 AM   #13
Voodoo Rufus
Powder Junkie Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
Setting the clock back sucks. It's making me work 13 hours instead of 12 hours tonight.

Not that I was working that hard tonight anyways.
I sympathize with that statement. Gave me an extra hour to get back to the shop before our company driving curfew. 22.5 hour work day FTL!

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
Green Leaves!
Voodoo Rufus is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 10:27 AM   #14
shard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
It used to be similar here, but it was changed last year to see if changing the clocks back at different times would be better for energy conservation, or something like that. It was kind of a big deal.

AFAIK, DST used to be used for farmers, so they would have more light by which to work by, which is why some places have it, and others don't.
Coming from someone who grew up on a farm. A farmer could care less what the time was, sun comes up, they get up, sun goes down, they are done for the day.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.