• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low profile coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

any suggestions for good low profile coolers for an htpc that will still allow a bit of overclocking?

If you can hit up the classies, a copper cored stock Intel HSF would probably suffice. I have read numerous reviews in which old 65nm cores were able hit speeds of 3.0Ghz with ease on those Cu Intel units.

Again that is only with "light" overclocks,

bryan d

yeah i was thinking about the flat zalmans. the only thing that i am concerned about is that they would cover the ram slots... hopefully that won't be a problem. i think that those would be able to provide cooling enough to maintain an overclock on an e7200. i don't know that i would be hitting 4 ghz, but, it would be cool to get there.

i don't know that i would be hitting 4 ghz, but, it would be cool to get there.

You are right, it would have to be cool to get there.

Unless you are running some insane RAM modules with those high heatspreaders (judging from your lax attempt of OC'ing, your not) then using the suggested Zalman would be a great choice, as the overhang could keep your RAM and possibly NB cooler.

Good luck,

bryan d

Also, if you can find one in forum Classies for sale, the old Thermalright XP90-C (all copper) with a 92 X 25 mm fan such as a 92 mm Panaflo M1BX is an excellent choice for cooling and it is fairly low profile. You will need an LGA775 adapter kit to use it though. I am running an E6750 with this and it keeps temps well in check and is fairly quiet.

yeah i was thinking about the flat zalmans. the only thing that i am concerned about is that they would cover the ram slots... hopefully that won't be a problem. i think that those would be able to provide cooling enough to maintain an overclock on an e7200. i don't know that i would be hitting 4 ghz, but, it would be cool to get there.

Well are you going to be swapping ram out? I mean you did say HTPC, so i would think once you build it, that's it. No fiddling around with parts.

Depending on the mobo, it won't be w problem unless the mobo is a mATX.

Mudd suggested an awsome alternative.

Back