• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats my best option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brooka

Registered
so im about to run into about $250-$300 Au and i was wondering what my comp would benefit from most.

im running a core 2 duo e6750 @ 3.00
on a DFI lan party t2rs+ p45 mobo,
2gig of crappy ramm from my old hp.
radeon hd4850.

my first thought was to get a second g card because thatd be the exact amount of money. but then i was wondering if it would have much of an impact due to my other parts being fairly crap?.
i dont have enough money for a new cpu yet unfortunately and i dont think i will for a lil while as i dont have a job.

any input would be appreciated. thnx.

What resolution do you game at? What OS do you have? You are not far out of date. The CPU will easily OC further than that with some cooling so that is one area I would look into.

im running vista ultimate 32 bit.
and
usualy 1280 x 720 i think.
my monitor runs normal at 1440 x 900

oh and im not really experienced in overclocking so im a bit hesitant to push it further. not sure if theres any easier ways of doing so?coz i oc'ed it a while ago now and would have to read up again before i go messing round.

i have been considering wcing because my gpu temps are very high, round 90+ under load so yer. think thats kinda high anyway?

If you're gaming with 2gb of ram on vista then I would say you should definitely get more ram. That probably won't use up all of your money, so you might be able to get something else as well. Your processor should be pretty good for gaming. I would say a second gpu would be a better upgrade than a processor. You could get a new processor, but the E8xxx core 2's are the only dual core's that would be worth it in my opinion.

You could add more memory but you are only going to be able to access around 3-3.5GB's, still worth it on Vista IMHO.

Your GPU is fine for the resolution. Adding another really isn't going to gain you much in most games short of Crysis.

I stil say add a HSF, we can help you with the OC. Then add some ram and save the rest of your money for a future upgrade.

so i will probably go for the ram and cpu cooler, just wondering if anyone could recomend a good brand of ram and also a good cooler.
thnx

Can you lists some sites that you want to order from? What may be a good deal here may not be over there, or even available for that matter. For brands of memory: G.Skill, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin all make good memory but can vary from model to model in ocability. For HS Thermalright is king but not cheap. Tuniq, Zerotherm, Xigamatek are some other good options.

Good idea.

Go for a 2x2GB set of Corsair Dominator, Mushkin XP or GSkill. Along with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, you should come out to around your budget amount.

one more question.

when buying ram
should i take out my old ram and just have the new stuff?

Here go crazy, buy 8 gigs. Total cost = $40 after rebates

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5530560

better act fast tho these deals dont last.

http://slickdeals.net

good site for istuff on a budget

You might be able to afford ram + CPU+ Cooler

He is not in the states. OP just go for the cheapest PC6400 CAS4 namebrand sticks you can find. Get 2x2GB's, memory is cheap so go ahead and get enough to last you. Take out the old stuff and just run the new sticks.

thnx for your help phidelt,
i just bought the thermalright ultra 120 extreme and some tuniq compund,
will have to wait a fiew weeks before i get my ram,
im almost certain its ddr2 that i need but im not 100% so i was wondering if there's a way i can find out?

Back