• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 OC For Extreme Editions Only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenquinn

Registered
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-7.html

This makes sense from a pure business standpoint why let someone buy e8200 and let them overclock it to perform better then the more expensive e8600. However I know many people are going to be extremely annoyed about this limitation on overclocking the non extreme editions of the core i7. At least if the core i7 extreme editions are as expensive as the extreme editions of the previous Intel CPU lines.

What do you guys think about this limitation?

Edit: Title is a bit wrong since you can OC non Extreme Editions but there is a power usage limit for the CPU of 130watts. Would of edited it but you can't on this forum.

Last edited:
I just read the Anandtech article, and they didn't even mention it. The pushed a 920 up to 3.8GHz, and could probably go higher with tuning. The 965 got up to 4.2GHz.

What board was TH using? Maybe that is the problem.

Overclocking is very different on the Core i7. Unlike the Core 2 or Pentium D processors, the Core i7 CPU can monitor the current it draws as well as its power consumption—if it exceeds a certain level, the processor automatically reduces its clock speed. Intel calls this feature "Overspeed Protection." The limits hard-wired into the core are 100 A and 130 watts. Only the Extreme Edition allows the user to increase these values as they like, effectively circumventing the protection mechanism altogether. Intel wants to prevent customers from buying an inexpensive processor and then overclocking it to very high or even extreme levels.

I'd wait for more retail 920 and 965 results before jumping to any conclusions though. You might think 3.8GHz is good for a 920, but if a 965 can hit 4.5-5GHz consistently with the same cooling and everything, well you then you know something is up :screwy: More then likely the difference would be a result of this "wattage limit".

I thought overclocking was allowed on all bloomfield cpus, ie. quads. Well, only time will tell. However, if intel limits ocing substancially, i'm just gonna stick with a Q9550 until the architecture after deneb.

Overclocking is allowed on all Nehalem chips. It's just Intel is limiting the size of the overclock by limiting the wattage consumption of the non-EE chips.

look like our biggest problem is the bClock
Intel is using a reference clock of 133Mhz, and it seems to top out at 200Mhz for air coolers
FYI bClock is like AMD's HTT and that is set to 200MHz by default.

so for the 920 (20x133) looks like the max OC we can look forward too is 4.0Ghz
and for the 940 (22x133) we should see 4.4Ghz max.

i dont think there is a way for the cpu to know it reaches 130watt TDP. as one cpu could be hitting the same temps as a another with different cooling.

what it really looks like is nothing more then a current limiter for ocing control, with the TDP thrown in to throw us off.

From the article it mentions something about the CPU being able to monitor is current and power consumption. Im guessing too this is merely a current limiter.

Z

Back