• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7 coolers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

STi

Registered
I need a cooler for my inbound i7 940 chip...Any idea where i can findem?

I have found these so far.

Nexus FLC-3000 LGA 1366 cooler
thermaltake CL-P0508
and 2 from Asus
and exsisting noctua's with 1366 bracket

thermalrigh has a socket 1366 cpu retention bracket for the ultra series and hr-01's

so a TRUE + one of deez http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/product_accessories.html#lga1366boltnew

that would be my choice.... what i dont get is why they changed the holes for the new socket... there was no need to as the 775 holes were plenty big enough to allow the 1366 socket room... heck i think foxconn or msi has a x58 board with both 1366 holes and 775 holes.

thermalrigh has a socket 1366 cpu retention bracket for the ultra series and hr-01's

so a TRUE + one of deez http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/product_accessories.html#lga1366boltnew

that would be my choice.... what i dont get is why they changed the holes for the new socket... there was no need to as the 775 holes were plenty big enough to allow the 1366 socket room... heck i think foxconn or msi has a x58 board with both 1366 holes and 775 holes.

Hmm, so the base of a TRUE is big enough to fully cover a Nehalem chip? I haven't done any dimensions check yet. It would be really nice to reuse my TRUE on a Nehalem chip instead of having to buy a new cooler.

Hmm, so the base of a TRUE is big enough to fully cover a Nehalem chip? I haven't done any dimensions check yet. It would be really nice to reuse my TRUE on a Nehalem chip instead of having to buy a new cooler.

oh yea easily.... if it doesnt cover ALL of the IHS it will surely cover the entire core without a doubt.

I would guess that some current waterblocks would be big enough for nehalems.

Wonder if/when the swiftech mounting hardware for a apogee gt or gtz block will come out.

Hmm, naked Nehalems ;)

im not saying they have to be naked.... look at the stock coolers for the 775 cpus... the round core NEVER covered the whole IHS... as long as the TRUE covers the whole core thats underneath the IHS your fine... and im 110% positive it does... im 99.99999999999% positive the TRUE covers the entire IHS of the nelaham.

im not saying they have to be naked.... look at the stock coolers for the 775 cpus... the round core NEVER covered the whole IHS... as long as the TRUE covers the whole core thats underneath the IHS your fine... and im 110% positive it does... im 99.99999999999% positive the TRUE covers the entire IHS of the nelaham.

Is it still wrong for me wanting to get one naked? :confused: :beer: I wanna see first hand what the die looks like :D

h20 certainly seems like an attractive option.

i had a panic attack about the wattage limits on the i7's (not like i have the money to get one when they come out, but that doesn't mean that i don't want it to be a great proc)... i thought that the wattage limit might preclude the need for water cooling anymore. my issue with water cooling is that i would constantly be worried about my computer when/if i had to move it, and just the stress of possible spillage and mass electronic component death...

now if the danamics liquid metal cooler is as good as the company says it is going to be (things rarely are), maybe everyone is going to be shifting to liquid metal cooling!

h20 certainly seems like an attractive option.

i had a panic attack about the wattage limits on the i7's (not like i have the money to get one when they come out, but that doesn't mean that i don't want it to be a great proc)... i thought that the wattage limit might preclude the need for water cooling anymore. my issue with water cooling is that i would constantly be worried about my computer when/if i had to move it, and just the stress of possible spillage and mass electronic component death...

now if the danamics liquid metal cooler is as good as the company says it is going to be (things rarely are), maybe everyone is going to be shifting to liquid metal cooling!

oh god more of the liquid metal toxic crap... please stay away from stuff like that... its all a gimick.

most likely... but, the danamics cooler is supposed to release in the EU this month. we'll have to see the benches... (i fully expect it to be terrible...but, who knows?)

Back