Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!
Forum Jump

Core i7 folding benchmarks??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 04:24 PM Thread Starter   #1
ludeboy12

Core i7 folding benchmarks??

Anyone have any links that show comparisons between C2Q and Core i7 when it comes to folding?

My Folding Stats...
ludeboy12 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 04:38 PM   #2
drshivas
Sith Lord

10 Year Badge

drshivas is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 05:31 PM   #3
Is_907

10 Year Badge

Looks like not having HT will be more useful for Folding... am I reading that graph correctly?
I'm also curious to see some numbers on the i7's for Rosetta... in case someone has found them already...

Castiel (Desktop Rig) - i7-3770; 16GB DDR3; 256GB Crucial M4 + 600GB RAID0 array; Asus GTX460 1GB.

Folding User Stats
Is_907 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 05:40 PM   #4
tgxiii

I'm not really understanding the article. On all the graphs for individual work units, the no-HT i7-965 Extreme leads in ppd and the one with HT is at 6th or 7th place. However, the last graph (for Total Project PPD) shows it ahead of all except the dual QX9775 and the non-HT is at 5th.
tgxiii is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 06:47 PM   #5
harlam357
Senior Fold-a-holic

Wish they would have run some SMP numbers.

harlam357 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 07:20 PM   #6
ChasR

The techreport benchmark is all but useless without a1 and a2 core SMP WUs. You can figure it to be faster, but by how much on each type of SMP WU is a guess. Where it should trounce the current Qs is in running multiple SMP instances with the a1 core.

All ppd from friends and family. Many thanks to HayesK for his support and congrats on being the #1 Folder on Team 32. Special thanks to ChrisC and ColinC

Folding User Stats
ChasR is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-03-08, 08:33 PM Thread Starter   #7
ludeboy12

Yea would be nice to see some clock for clock SMP comparisons.....

My Folding Stats...
ludeboy12 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-04-08, 08:24 PM   #8
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
The techreport benchmark is all but useless without a1 and a2 core SMP WUs. You can figure it to be faster, but by how much on each type of SMP WU is a guess. Where it should trounce the current Qs is in running multiple SMP instances with the a1 core.
exactly my thought! w/ HT, total of 8 cores, running 2x WinSMP client to fully use all cores. or if one has enough ram in the system, how 'bout 4x VMWare+LinuxSMP? or better yet, fill all those PCIe 16x w/ GPUs, then run SMP (Win or Linux, your choice) on the rest of the cores!!

may be Stanford will lift the 4 cores hard coded soon...??

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-04-08, 08:39 PM   #9
Shelnutt2
Overclockers Team Content Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
may be Stanford will lift the 4 cores hard coded soon...??
I didn't realize they still had that with the v6 clients? I know a while ago they said if you asked and had just reason they would get you a client that had 8 or 16 threads if you proved you had the hardware. This was mostly talking about a cluster setup though.

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos
Shelnutt2 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-04-08, 10:45 PM   #10
ChasR

I think 2 clients x 4 cores is going to be faster than 1 x 8. If I am not mistaken, the Linux 6.23 client isn't hardcoded to 4 threads. If you have 8 cores, -smp 8 will run one instance across 8 cores. 4 is still the minimum.

All ppd from friends and family. Many thanks to HayesK for his support and congrats on being the #1 Folder on Team 32. Special thanks to ChrisC and ColinC

Folding User Stats
ChasR is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!