• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 of power mosfets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Hey this may be dumb question but i couldnt find the answer. Can u replace the crappy thermal gel pad that comes on the power mosfets with as5? i need the answer to this question asap as my board is in peices atm. thanks in advance.
Mike

It depends on what your plans are. If you are gonna go sub-zero, I'd suggest Arctic Alumina over AS5 (possible crystillization issues. Maybe one of the LN2 guys can check the phase transition temp). If you will be on air, AS5 would be o.k.

Just be careful with the AS5 since it is capacitive. Do not be sloppy with it or allow it to run down the sides of the fets possible causing shorts.

If you are unsure of your neatness capabilities, AS Ceramique is a safer alternative.

ok thanks guys im not goin subzero......yet so i put as5 on em very carefully put the sink off and pulled it off several times to be sure we had no dribble. gonna power up the board without anything it just to be sure i dont get any smoke..thanks guys.

Aoutomiketic, after reading your latest post about you pulling the heatsink on and off, thats not the way to go about it. with what ur doing, you vastly increase your chances of getting a air pocket, thusly increasing your temps. id also stay away from as5. its still quality but there are others that perform better w/ much shorter curing time, it at all. i made the switch to ic (innovative cooling) diamond. its also non conductive and does a fantastic job. just remember that the mobo is the most important component of a pc. if its bricked, every other component is useless. quality over speed.

for FETS i would definietly stay away from AS5... i have always been a big supporter of as5 but for ICs of the sort, stick with artic silver ceramique.... non conductive, non capacitative. and is only about 1-2*C worse in temps than good ole as5.

Just be careful with the AS5 since it is capacitive. Do not be sloppy with it or allow it to run down the sides of the fets possible causing shorts.

If you are unsure of your neatness capabilities, AS Ceramique is a safer alternative.

Sub zero or not, this advise Neur0 suggested is sound advise. Use Ceramique for this, not Arctic Silver unless your meticulous in your applying AS5, any AS5 migration, and you could fry your mobo due to capacitive properties of Arctic Silver 5. Ceramique is not capacitive nor is it conductive.

If you need a thermal adhesive, use Arctic Alumina adhesive, thats also not capacitive nor conductive. ;)

okay i did as5 only because it was all i had at the time. i have it on and was very meticulous. the board is up and running but you have all scared me into buying some arctic ceramic. hopefully ill b ok until gets in. i powered up the board bare for about 25mins just to be sure if something smoke it was just the board. i know have it all up and running with no problems but will probably still grab some as ceramic. thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back