• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quantum Solace Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Will Eatforfood

I was at blockbuster today returning Fallout 3, which gameplay wise was highly enjoyable but felt incomplete as a game due to the unorthodoxed organization of game elements; plot, ending battle, the likes. :/ .... when I stumbled upon Quantum Solace. I ended up getting this over Farcry 2 because of nostalgia from post Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the n64, even though Rare was not a part of the development of the current. I'm about 2 hours into the game now and this is what I've gathered so far.

- The in-game physics are decent. The cinematic physics are OFF. The Aston Martin in the opening movie seems like it's revving on ice. Certain things happen.....really weird. Kind of like how in Rush Hour 3, JC and CT use the impromptu fabricated parachute (...or was it real?) to glide exactly to where the bad dude was...... Things in 007:QS don't happen natually.

-They captured the chasing element really well. As you are playing, you don't really care about securing weapons and ammo because they don't matter on the next level. So blindfire away. Plus, buildings will collapse around you but won't hurt your lifebar at all, so go for it. Run towards the bad dude at top speed. You'll still cower a little when an explosion happens at point blank, but it's just a natural reaction. :p

-No puzzles to solve like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.... This is a bad thing.

-Spoiler?: The shotgun on the first level is to die for. I'm on hard and this thing is 1 hit KO blindfire. As long as the are in the general direction that you fire, the kick from the gun will knock them out. I don't know how cheap or unrealistic that is, but sure is fun as craps....or baccarat. :p

Overall, the game feels too much like an arcade game. Granted, a fun arcade game. I mean, I read it uses the COD4 engine, which when translated to a game, was very immersive and exciting. A buy is a hard thing to ask, but a rental is worth it.

(Disclaimer: My taste might be different. I got bored with Half Life 2, but love Bioshock and COD4)

Back