• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run an 8800GT on my computer with this PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
Hi all,

I really would like to know if i can run an 8800 GT on my current PSU.

My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2.1Ghz
3GB ddr2 PC2-6400 RAM
160GB Samsung Harddrive
Nforce 430 Mobo
Nvidia GeForce 6150SE onboard video memory
Generic DVD drive and Floppy Drive

I have been told that this is a low power consumption system
The computer was manufactured by dell, if this helps at all its an Inspiron 531s

The PSU that i would like to run the 8800GT on has the following specs:
Max 250W output
+3.3V @ 11A
+5V @ 18A
+5VSBV @ 2A
+12V @ 17A
-12V @ 0.3A

Please tell me what you think ASAP, because i really want to run my 8800GT :burn:

Thankyou:D

P.S.
Whats the worst thing that could happen if the PSU cant handle the video card, could anything break?
Oh, and if that doesn't work is there anything i could underclock or remove to lower my PC's power consumption
to make the 8800GT work?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I really would like to know if i can run an 8800 GT on my current PSU.

My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2.1Ghz
3GB ddr2 PC2-6400 RAM
160GB Samsung Harddrive
Nforce 430 Mobo
Nvidia GeForce 6150SE onboard video memory
Generic DVD drive and Floppy Drive

I have been told that this is a low power consumption system
The computer was manufactured by dell, if this helps at all its an Inspiron 531s

The PSU that i would like to run the 8800GT on has the following specs:
Max 250W output
+3.3V @ 11A
+5V @ 18A
+5VSBV @ 2A
+12V @ 17A
-12V @ 0.3A

Please tell me what you think ASAP, because i really want to run my 8800GT :burn:

Thankyou:D

P.S.
Whats the worst thing that could happen if the PSU cant handle the video card, could anything break?
Oh, and if that doesn't work is there anything i could underclock or remove to lower my PC's power consumption
to make the 8800GT work?

RS,

I looked at your system on the Dell site. I don't see a video card option offered for your unit over your "on board." That should tell you it's probably not recommended. Are you still under Dell warranty? Your best option is to call Dell tech support and ask them if your power supply will support that video card.

If you are out of warranty, a quick calculation leads me to believe you're too close to your power supply's capacity using that card. Dell has only onboard video offered for a reason and I think that's why. If you are out of warranty, you can try it at your own risk.

Your other option is to upgrade your power supply if that's affordable to you. Your Dell isn't made for much gaming, it is what it is.

No - 250W is not enough. I would recommend 400-500W - that would be plenty - just make sure it fits. Earthwatts work great - I'm happy with mine - runs cool and quiet. Try to get an 80+, and don't get a super cheap PSU either - just read reviews and do some homework

Back