• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mwave.com 1.5TB Seagate (Bare) Shipped FREE + BONUS 4GB USB Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea everywhere is selling these cheap, often ~$150, because there seems to be an issue with the drives that crops up as an occasional 30 second pause especially when used as a system drive. I had no problem with mine streaming FLAC files as a non-system drive. Could have saved a decent amount of money if I had a clue they were going to plummet like this though.

Yea everywhere is selling these cheap, often ~$150, because there seems to be an issue with the drives that crops up as an occasional 30 second pause especially when used as a system drive. I had no problem with mine streaming FLAC files as a non-system drive. Could have saved a decent amount of money if I had a clue they were going to plummet like this though.

Looks like the issue has been narrowed down to drives with firmware version: SD15, SD17, or SD18.

ie: All the drives out there right now :p One nice thing about this is that once the firmware is patched, if that's the issue, then buying any drive will be fine you'll either get fixed firmware or can upgrade it and the drives might stay nice and cheap because of the stigma :D The only risk then is DOA or drives dying...things seem to have flipped from a few years ago when WD had lots of DOA/dying drive reports and Seagate didn't.

The WD1200JB days were fun. They were loud, hot, and dropped like flies. :) Hooray for warranties.

ie: All the drives out there right now :p One nice thing about this is that once the firmware is patched, if that's the issue, then buying any drive will be fine you'll either get fixed firmware or can upgrade it and the drives might stay nice and cheap because of the stigma :D The only risk then is DOA or drives dying...things seem to have flipped from a few years ago when WD had lots of DOA/dying drive reports and Seagate didn't.

From what I heard not all drives were affected.

I think that is because of the way people were using them. As pure storage drives they are fine, mine are, but every one who knew what the problem was and how to recreate it could do so consistently with every drive they had. (Last I checked in the Seagate forum thread at least.) If they are the OS drive the problem always appears, if you've got different info where someone had problems with one drive but could not recreate it with another please link :)

Last edited:
What am I looking for, the mention of the rumored SD38 firmware?

I am really not sure, I was hoping that there would be some drives circulating around that are not of these three revisions. I really want one of these drives, but not with the current issues they are having.

Back