• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Server RAID build and monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xgtdec

Hey Guys

Last night i finally finished a server build i was working on with an Thermaltake Armour case. I have a decent enough HP dual core board with 4 g's of ram, a 512 nvidia card and a adaptec 2610sa 6 port raid card. I have the OS(xp for now) on a seperate drive and then i have 6 samung 250g drives hooked to the raid card. so for file and print duty its way more than whats needed. But here my question: I can see the raid config and i can put all 6 drives into raid 5/50 and i can use the space right away even though in the backround it takes an ice age to build. Now after much googling there seems to be an opinion that even though this model is a raid card, its a kind of bottom of the range raid card which creates a raid for ya and does little all else. The driver works in XP and i can see my storage and i can partition and administer as i please, but there is no software to give me speeds or drive health or nothin...is thgis all down to the quality of the card and if i step out and buy a good 6 port Arcea would they provide the software i seek? do i really have to go to the raid cards bios every time to cheack if all is ok?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dec

Back