• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6300 O/C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

Ok need to know what i am doing wrong
I got some new Ram today thanks to godM@n. I played with some settings, i knew i would have to overvolt the ram 0.3v to give me the 2.1v needed for the ram. I set ram timings to 5-5-5-15 all the advanced memory timings are set to auto. Previous ram limited me to 2.8ghz. With the new ram in i tried 3.0ghz(429x7) Left my voltage at 1.356 and everything was ok. So for the jist of it i tried 500x7 which would give me 3.5ghz. Would not post. Tried 1.45v still wouldnt post. So i backed down to 475x7 and left voltage at 1.45 and it posted but windows was flaky. What should i try next!

What are you cooling that E6300 with? I see you have listed the stock Dell tower and I don't know about the quality of that heatsink that Dell uses, but it's probably not up to the task of cooling efficiently at overclocked speeds. What are your temps running at?

BTW, I also have an E6300 and it runs great at 500 X 7, but I'm using an U-120 to cool it too.

yep sorry i havent updated it yet. I am using a crappy mascool heatsink and fan. at 1.36v idle temps are about 31c and load temps are about 55. not at 1.4 idle is at 36c and load is in the mid 60's. this is running prime small ffts

First thing I would do is make sure the mobo is sending the correct voltage. I read about the mobos that support both DDR2 and DDR3, and there was an issue where DDR2 was getting overvolted to 2.0v, so setting +0.3 would result in you feeding it 2.3v. Only way I know to check for sure is to use a DMM. Otherwise, drop your multi, and use memory dividers to test the RAM at various speeds, and voltages. See if you can run it w/ less voltage.

Once you get that resolved, make sure you're running 1:1, and go back to your barely stable 475x7 setup. Start playing w/ other settings besides vcore, and see if anything helps you get more stable. Work up from there.

tried for the fun of it to get 500 tonight and it wont even posy no matter how much voltage i give it... tried all the way up to 1.55v and no go so i dont think that its the cpu that cant hang. Gonna go try dropping the multi real quick and see if the ram will do 500fsb, will report back in like 10!!!

OK here is what i tried
500x6
tried all sorts of ram timings and all sorts of different voltage configurations on the ram and the northbridge but it will still not post at 500fsb. Should i try 500x5??? because at 500x6 my cpu is still overclocked.

Ninja Edit!!!!
Defaulted all CPU values and set cpu back to stock 266x7. Ran the memory on a divider that made the ram run at exactly 1066 and im in windows no problem. So this leads me to believe that at 500FSB there is so much stress from running 4 1gb sticks that the North bridge just cant hang.. My question. I run 64 bit vista with this 4gb. Would it be worth it for me to pull 2 sticks out so i can get to 500fsb and maybe more or would having the 4gb with the cpu at 450FSB be better?

Last edited:
after 5 minutes of posting my last post the pc froze up. Not sure if it is because i only used 0.2v overvolt on the ram or not. On a happier note i decided to try the stock vcore at 450x7 and it seems to be running ok. stock v core is 1.325.

I dont know if CPU-Z is right but if it is then this board is undervolting like mad
Notice The Vcore in CPU-Z i have it set to 1.325

wtf-1.jpg

Last edited:
not sure what GTL settings are. I have FSB Overvoltage control. (G)MCH overvoltage control, PCI-E overvoltage control and then just the cpu vcore.. I have the FSB at 0.3 and G MCH at 0.3

I don't know man. That board doesn't have a whole lotta options. You might have to settle for less.

You already have seen the board undervolt. I'd gander that it gets worse the higher you go. You might have to try setting the vcore to 1.6 or 1.7v in the BIOS.

I wouldn't run it this way 24/7, but you can at least see if you can get it to boot at 500FSB.

Could be the NB giving you errors as well. Have you tried a looser strap? Also there are some memory sub-timings (like tRFC) that may be getting set too tight automatically. Run memset, and tell us all the timings it shows. Should be something like you see in my sig.

Try this to know if your RAM is bad: Lower the FSB to 400 (where you know its stable), and then use the 2.66 memory multiplier to raise your RAM speed to 1066. Set the correct timings and voltage, and run memtest again.

what do you mean by a looser strap???
Also here is a screen of memset.
I tried to get the guys at OCZ to give me the advance timings but they said to leave them on auto.
Only thing they tell me is to set it to 5-5-5

memset1.jpg

well here is something else i tried.. Ill let the picture tell the story.. PC didnt run long after i took that SS Because it locked up..
I dont think its the memory itself but somewhere like you said there is a setting somewhere in the mem that needs to be changed.

1111.jpg

Back