• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS's Best balance of Quiet & Power? Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

USMC_Buckeroo

Registered
Howdy All once again,

Just loving the healthy support around this site...as an older bugger {really older ] I genuinely appreciate all the helpful advise that is shared here on this site. It fills me with confidence and admiration for our younger generation....bully for you!

Anyways, enough butter huh?

My question is as the Title suggests....what is all of your learned opinions about the best 'bang for the buck' when it comes to the best balance of Quietness of a power supply AND dollar spent value??

Now, obviously I would like to hear you can get 1000 watts of absolute silent power for a measly 2 bits but.... I'm also realistic. I'm just looking for the best suggestions from 'those who know'...

My thanks in advance for your valuable input.

Semper Fi!

USMC_Buckeroo.

Howdy All once again,

Just loving the healthy support around this site...as an older bugger {really older ] I genuinely appreciate all the helpful advise that is shared here on this site. It fills me with confidence and admiration for our younger generation....bully for you!

Anyways, enough butter huh?

My question is as the Title suggests....what is all of your learned opinions about the best 'bang for the buck' when it comes to the best balance of Quietness of a power supply AND dollar spent value??

Now, obviously I would like to hear you can get 1000 watts of absolute silent power for a measly 2 bits but.... I'm also realistic. I'm just looking for the best suggestions from 'those who know'...

My thanks in advance for your valuable input.

Semper Fi!

USMC_Buckeroo.

USMC,

Any of the Corsair units. There are others but the full Corsair line makes it quite easy to state this.

Oorah! :)

Howdy RollingThunder, and many thx for your reply. I will indeed look into the Corsair units...with any luck their cost is acceptable : - )

As to your avatar...I'm sure you are proud of it as you should be. For may years after I 'got out', I had a diminishing respect for our young Armed Forces. That is, until the courageous and most honourable performance by the 75th Ranger Regiment, most specifically Company B of the 3rd Battalion, in Operation Restore Hope in Somalia......those young MEN reignited my sincere and genuine appreciation and respect for our new Army....absolutely SUPERB work gentlemen!!!!

As one vet to another.... "RANGERS, lead the way!"

Again, thx for the info RollingThunder.

Semper Fi!

USMC_Buckeroo

Hey there :)

I've used a Corsair TX750 (750 watts) and a Corsair HX520 (520 watt modular), both with my Dual Core and the 9800GX2. Both ran completely silent, barely audible and completely cool. My system was running a tech demo for 2 hours and both PSU's remained cool and silent.

So with this, I vouch for Corsair. The TX750 has a 140mm fan, so theoretically it's the most silent of the two.

There's quite a few good quiet PSUs out there now.

Seasonics have traditionally been very good and quiet (they also make the Corsair HX520/620s)
The Enermax Modu82+ are supposedly very quiet - the quietest silentpcreview has run into so far. However, they are quite expensive (being the best apparently carries a premium - who knew? :p), and so aren't the "best bang for buck"

Absolute quietest doesn't really matter - as long as it's below ambient noise levels, you'll have a hard time picking them out anyway.

EDIT: Anyway, out the ones listed so far, given a very quick search, the Antec EA650 is currently the cheapest, followed by the Corsair 650TX (rebate).

Last edited:
Call Antec and ask them if it is built by Delta. AFAIK, the low wattage units like this one are still built by Seasonic. We may see Delta versions replacing them soon.

S/N,

I've looked at two recently purchased EW (380 & 430) and the UL number came back to Seasonic. Of course this doesn't mean they all are still Seasonic builds.

Back